Calf down for a month

blindcalfmomma

Just born
Reaction score
So I have been recieving emails about a calf in my area who was attacked by dogs several weeks ago and has been down for about a month. The calf has to be hoisted up several times a day and still refuses to use his hind legs. My question is... Is there a chance for this little guy? My k owledge is pretty limited but I would think if he's been down for a month his prognosis wouldn't be good. Seeing all the emails about him going around are breaking my heart.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a significant chance that either the dogs had caused serious nerve-damage to the rear half of his body, or had ripped out the tendons in his legs, making him unable to walk. Either way he should be put down. If he hasn't been able to use his back legs for a whole month (which is a VERY long time, IMO), then there really isn't a chance for this guy, unless some very rare or unheard-of miracle happens that enables him to gain the use of his hindlegs again.

I hate to see or even hear of an animal suffering like that, and IMHO, if there's no hope for him, if he's beyond repair, it's past the time to put him to sleep.

blindcalfmomma

Just born
Reaction score
That's what I thought.... I know even mentally for an animal like cows and horses it's got to be horrible not to be able to do any natural behaviors. Thanks. That was my recommendation but I wanted some opinions with more experience than my own.

hollybird

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i have seen an animal "learn" to walk again after an injury where the couldn't feel their feet. an animal like that is a big gamble because you can quickly invest so much time and money. most likely it will be put down anyway. i hope they have him in a barn with room to walk if he tries one day. the muscles need the work if he gets some momentum up. it happens to cows having too big a calf too. we got stuck with the greedy neighbors downer cow. one day she walked into the barn wall and fell down. if it were mine i would not go beyond two months without any progress.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sis had one that went down from bloat and wouldn't get up. They tried for over 2 mo. to get this calf to stand. Meanwhile his muscles were growing more deteriorated.

I begged her to let me put this calf out of its misery but she kept saying they were trying to "give it a chance" to live. She said she "just couldn't bear the thought of killing it".

The last attempt they made to hoist it up in the slings, her fingers sunk into its chest and green pus flowed down over her hand.

This calf had developed pressure areas from lying on its chest and the areas had undermined...they burst open when her hand applied pressure there.

They finally decided it was time....but imagine the agony this calf had been going through as it lay there developing pressure sores. It would be so nice if folks would consider the animal when they indulged themselves in "not being able to kill it" and "giving it another chance".... its just not right to let an animal suffer because you can't face the facts.

blindcalfmomma

Just born
Reaction score
We ended up getting him and taking him to the vet. He had to be put down as it was determined he was suffering. He had a broken leg and a severe bone infection to the point a two inch piece of exposed bone fell off in the vets hand...

Sad but atleast he is no longer suffering

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
blindcalfmomma said:
We ended up getting him and taking him to the vet. He had to be put down as it was determined he was suffering. He had a broken leg and a severe bone infection to the point a two inch piece of exposed bone fell off in the vets hand...

Sad but atleast he is no longer suffering
Thats good and yet sad too hear. It's too bad they didn't get him to the vet a month sooner. :/