CALF DOWN! HELP! - Update: T-Bone's doing GREAT! THANK YOU!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
We have a bag of lactated ringers solution and are giving fluids SQ. He is also getting Neomycin orally, Tylan injections, Pepto orally, Red Cell and electrolytes.

He was a little "perkier" earlier but wore out very quickly. We are to administer the LR solution every couple of hours (500-1,000 ml each time in different locations). Tylan and Neomycin are 1x daily. Pepto a couple of times daily as needed. Electrolytes every 6 hours. Red cell every 8-12 hours.

I really hope he pulls through.

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just read the whole thread and I have to say that you are a very kind person who is taking very good care of your animals. I am very sorry you lost one and I am sending positive energy your way. Please don't be hard on yourself. It is hard to loose something you have your heart into but sometimes there are unforeseen factors that we just can't change.

:fl T-bone

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
damummis said:
I just read the whole thread and I have to say that you are a very kind person who is taking very good care of your animals. I am very sorry you lost one and I am sending positive energy your way. Please don't be hard on yourself. It is hard to loose something you have your heart into but sometimes there are unforeseen factors that we just can't change.

:fl T-bone
Thank you.

T-Bone has received 2 rounds of LRS (500 ml each time) so far and seems to be doing better. He tried to get up a little while ago! Of course he is still too weak to do that on his own but we helped him. He's responding to stimulation again and twitches his ears when you "moo" at him.

I'm becoming optimist that if he is still with us in the morning that he may just pull through.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
He's UP!!!! :weee

T-Bone is able to stand on his own 4 feet today!!! Walking is a bit of a challenge because he's still so weak but he can stand (with a little help getting up).

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I took him out a bottle of electrolytes this morning since he's been so "strong" today I didn't want to tube him tonight. And he was standing waiting for me and moo'ing!! He hasn't moo'ed since he went down. It was the sweetest sound I have ever heard! :celebrate

Lizzie098

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't know much about cows but my Uncle does, I was wondering if you gave them "motion sickness" shots for the trip? If you did not this may be the cause of all this. Calves are not used to moving at such a fast pace, so they get sick and usually die from it if they do not get the shots. How fast after you brought them home did they seem to start getting sick? It usually starts 1-3 days after, and if the shot is not administeder in 24hours they usually don't make it. Some sighns are runny nose, dizzy ness, and well there is more. The calves usually get sick fast and go down fast that is why it is best to have the shots administered, I believe before and 2 more after the trip.

I really hope your calf is ok, You seem like such a sweet person for 'not' listening to the vet, and helping the poor thing as much as you can. I really do hope everything turns out for you. :hugs

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
elevan said:
I took him out a bottle of electrolytes this morning since he's been so "strong" today I didn't want to tube him tonight. And he was standing waiting for me and moo'ing!! He hasn't moo'ed since he went down. It was the sweetest sound I have ever heard! :celebrate
Great news!!