CALF DOWN! HELP! - Update: T-Bone's doing GREAT! THANK YOU!!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
That's great news! Good for you and your mom for working so hard on him!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Lizzie098 said:
I don't know much about cows but my Uncle does, I was wondering if you gave them "motion sickness" shots for the trip? If you did not this may be the cause of all this. Calves are not used to moving at such a fast pace, so they get sick and usually die from it if they do not get the shots. How fast after you brought them home did they seem to start getting sick? It usually starts 1-3 days after, and if the shot is not administeder in 24hours they usually don't make it. Some sighns are runny nose, dizzy ness, and well there is more. The calves usually get sick fast and go down fast that is why it is best to have the shots administered, I believe before and 2 more after the trip.

I really hope your calf is ok, You seem like such a sweet person for 'not' listening to the vet, and helping the poor thing as much as you can. I really do hope everything turns out for you. :hugs
Brisket went down 3 days after we brought them home and T-Bone went down at 4 days. There was no runny nose or (dizziness). Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't think this was the case.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
T-Bone is doing GREAT today!! Thank you to everyone who stepped up with some great ideas. We are very grateful for your help!

happydodgefarm6113

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hats off to you for such a great rescue. It sounds to me that a lot of your goat knowledge and expertise helped with the recovery of your lucky calf. So happy your little one is better.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
T-Bone was antsy to get out of his barn stall this morning so we took him out into the sunshine for a bit (supposed to get to 77* today). He was one happy calf out in the sun! :clap

I cannot believe that we brought them both home only 8 days ago and lost one and nursed the other back to health already...it seems like it's been more like a month :th I've learned a LOT in the past week.

And to be quite honest if I didn't have this forum to turn to I probably would have just taken the vet's advice. So a BIG THANK YOU again!! This forum and everyone on it is awesome!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Thought I'd give you all a quick update on T-Bone.

He's doing fantastic!! He's still a little skinny imo but is putting on more weight every day...let me tell you it hurts now if he steps on you! :lol:

He'll continue getting milk for at least another month before I wean him...we'll see how he's doing.

Here's a picture from last week:
b6dd0564.jpg

Latest posts