calf not gaining weight

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We recently bought some holstein bull calves that we bottle fed and raised to 8 weeks old. one of them grew to be the healthiest and largest of them all...then wham, down he went.
he got constipated and depressed and couldn't get up by himself.
we got electrolytes into him, AL-200,& drench. he started looking more alert and started to recover to the point where he could get up by himself(barely) and a normal rectal temperature. now he will not gain weight and yet is eating free choice hay and a pound and a half of calf startena morning and night.
I am almost at the point of putting him down but i thought i would see if anyone has experienced anything like this.(all my other calves are healthy)

I gave him a dose of ivermectin last night in a last attempt hope that it is worms( how could a calf eat and drink normally yet not gain weight?)

:idunno

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I would recommend sending in a fecal. He may have coccidia or something easily treatable.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With the fact that he's having trouble getting up (and it's very hard to diagnose without seeing the animal), I'd bet that he had a navel infection that went systemic and affected his leg joints. This has happened to me a couple times over the years. There is little you can do if this is the case. I'd have a vet look at him. You also might increase his startena. Some of these Holstein calves require a lot of grain to grow well. It's really hard to guess without seeing the animal. You might post some pics to give us a better chance at a diagnosis.

clarmayfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sometimes when our Holstein calves become sick, they are very weak for a few weeks after recovery...this is sadly very normal, probably due to the dairy genetics in the industry, our calves are not nearly as hardy and quick to grow after a setback.

If he seems dehydrated, give electolytes if he will drink them. You also can give fluids (lactated ringers) from your vet under the skin.

If he is eating well and just not gaining, give him time!

Latest posts