Calf Starter, Creep Feed?

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I can not find calf starter feed, I've tried in the past w/ previous bottle calves, but this time I expanded my search and still can't find anyone that carries calf starter, when I ask they either look at me like I've grown an extra head, or try to sell me more milk replacer. So I bought some 14% creep feed, can I feed her this? What's the difference?

Why is it so hard to find calf starter?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Where are you at?

Calf starter can be up to 22% protein but, the creep feed will work. Is it made for calves, goats, sheep, etc.?

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm in Arkansas, the creep feed is for calves, I got it at Atwoods, they had 12% and 14%, and I got the 14%.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So am I!

So do I give it free choice? Or limit it? I want her to grow well so she can be bred at the normal time, I don't want her to be a pot bellied stunted looking weanling and yearling like alot of bottle calves I see!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With the dairy calves I usually figure 5-6#'s a day limit. Once they are eating that then I wean them. Usually around 2 months. You may want to start with a small amount in front of her and see how much she eats a day. If you put to much out at a time it could get yucky before she eats it. Just increase the amount as she picks up eating it.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I can increase it as she eats it, do I have to worry about over doing it?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, increase it as she eats it. Up to 5-6 pounds a day. She'll do fine.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I'll start offering it to her today!

woomy

Just born
Reaction score
at what age can you offer creep feed. I Have two calfs. One is around 3 wks and the other around 2 weeks. they areboth bulls, but have been banded. They have two bottles a day, but act lke they are always hungry. We tried to see if they would drink water from a bucket, but they wouldn't.