Calf Starter

Roy and Vicky

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Duh has been eating calf starter for about 1 1/2 bags now, lol can't remember how long. He's 10 weeks now and Minnie is 5 weeks, when should I switch them off the starter and what should I switch them to, if anything at all since they're on pasture 24/7 now. They have a huge supply of water and Minnie is getting 1.5 quarts of milk replacer twice a day.

Do they need to stay on a grain since they are on pasture?

redtailgal

Reaction score
If your pasture is good and they are grazing well, I'd start weaning off the grain. Cut it by 1/4 every couple days to give him a chance to make up for it and learn to graze more to make up the difference.

Glad to hear he is doing so well!

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would keep Minnie on the starter until she also reaches the 10 week stage for getting
her a better beginning in life. 5 weeks is still pretty small, she needs the extra nutrition
at this time. You should tie up Duh while she eats her starter, so he doesn't knock
her away.

Roy and Vicky

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Minnie eats the starter great, I was concerned about her eating it because the folks we got her from weren't giving it to her, just 2 quarts of milk three times a day and pasture. She teams Duh around believe it or not lol. Must be a female thing. I put her in the dog kennel for a few days and she was eating 1.5 quart milk twice a day plus water, pasture, and about a quart of calf starter.