Calf wants to play with me

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a bottle raiser little heifers. She in with goats for now she about 3 months old. She head buts for milk and licks me of course. But now she tries to play with me lowering her head and bouncing. I am concerned she will try that when she older what should i do now to prevent that later. I can pen her down i am physically able to right now. I don't spend much time in the pen outside to clean the stalls collect eggs, feed up and water. I have four small children 7, 4, 2 , 3 months. They aren't allowed in the pen period. My concern would be if we go for a walk in the pasture is this animal going to think she can play with us when i would prefer she didnt.

WyoLiving

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a friend whose Mom trained all their cows to leave her alone and not be pushy. When they were calves, she would reach-out and grab their lower jar. Then twist her wrist as she would push them with over with her other hand. They learned to associate the jaw-grab with the falling over. Easy to do as a calf, but when they were grown up, they still remembered that when she had their lower jaw, she was boss and she had the "power". They would freeze in place until she let them go, then they would turn and walk away, leaving her alone.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My bull did that recently. I walked him across the bridge of the nose when he swung the head. Not hard, but enough to let him know that was not acceptable. A couple times, then all I had to do was lift a hand and he would stop. Now he’s a big fan of scratching.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found out she doesn't like red balls lol i was kicking a ball around the yard and she ran as if it was going to eat her lol.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not a cattle person, but I know orphan foals who have been bottle fed have a big problem with respect and can be dangerously pushy and cheeky. They need another horse to give them herd manners.
So I guess you'll have to be herd boss and have a no tolerance policy for anything she does that you wouldn't want her to do at 1500 lbs.
Consistency is the biggest thing, so she understands what you're asking.

To start with, is it possible to feed her from the opposite side of a fence or barrier so she can't head butt you?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's how I feed her the bottle but its when i go in the pen to give grain, or really do anything in there. I can be clean out the stall and she all over me. I did pen her yesterday which worked for a few seconds buts that alot of work when she easy weighs closer to 300 lbs. I did try knee her as well to get her off my legs which works with sometimes, other times she wants to challenge me on that. I did try hitting her nose but i think i was to gentle because she didn't even register it. Didn't want to hurt her but i try to be more force full on it. same with the jaw thing I try that i haven't yet. I don't want to have to process her but i will if she keeps this nonsense up. I am not ok with it plus i have four human kids that need me to do things i cant do that if she breaks something on me.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Try using a small stick with a plastic bag on the end to "flag" her to keep her distance when she is rambunctious. When she approaches wave it out to your side, if she doesn't stop get more aggressive with it, but the instant she stops or turns away, stop and release that pressure. She will possibly be very curious about the flag at first and what it means, so it may take a whack or two to give her the idea that you have a space bubble that she better respect. Think about how momma cows discipline their calves when they get rude. I'm sure it's not gentle!

Like I said, no experience with cattle, just throwing out some thoughts.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
More ideals the better in my book, it's trial and error with some animals different thinks work for different animals. I had a red ball i tested last evening lol i was kicking it around with me and first I was trying to see if she play with it but no then i used it to make her keep back lol she got to close i would kick the ball towards her she would bolt lol.