Calf wants to play with me

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband just remind me we have a cattle rod. I will use if it comes to that but i prefer not if o can avoid for two reasons one i end up zapping myself because i am accident prone two i prefer not to be that harsh at first i want to have a good relationship with her and not a shocking on lol pun intended so go ahead and laugh. Lol

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right about the relationship side of it. The trust factor will be good when it's time to handle her as a mature cow.
I would try going with a subtle cue to start with then escalate until she responds the way you want her to. Eventually she should understand the subtle cues and won't persist. It's all a matter of pressure on/pressure off when training animals. And correct timing.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get a halter and put it on her. Then when she starts to get aggressive, get ahold of it, and use a lead rope and tie her up. Every time she gets to being stupid, grab it and either smack her nose, or tie her up short and tell her NO. Don't say , no sweetheart, you shouldn't do that with a love tap on her nose...... give her a real loud, NO with a good smack. You cannot possible hurt her unless you BEAT HER..... believe me, she needs a good strong crack across her nose where it will make an impression. Hitting her on the side or shoulder or anywhere will not make an impression as you cannot hit her near as hard as another animal might. I am not saying be mean. BE AUTHORATATIVE. And if she comes up and just pushes a bit, try to turn it into a way for her to realize that a little push will get her a nice ear scratch or a scratch under her chin or neck, but if she shoves, then she will get smacked.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes ma'ma, so i put that on her tonight. I been holding off feeding and milking because from the window i could tell she was to hyper for me to try it. Didn't want to be a target for the energy of a playful brute. Still hoping to pull her sister soon to get her a playmate that can give her a what for.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My bull had to have a little reminder tonight. I was out feeding. He didn’t hit me, but bumped the bucket I was carrying pretty good. I gave him a whack with the stick I always carry. He backed up 2 steps and followed me to the feed pans. Later he walked up to the fence and wanted a scratch.
I tell you that to let you know animals respect authority. Mine knows when he got out of line. He wasn’t mad I hit him.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I want to thank you all for your advice keep those wheels rollin i have more questions soon i promise lol. However not responsible or liable for dumb questions or falling out of your chair puns please submit your complaints to in the following file....
()

Okay I had my fun now i can be happy.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I‘ve always found that pinching a calf’s nose (a finger up each nostril, pinch in the middle) was a good way to deter overly affectionate young beasties. It annoyed them enough to make them stop what they were doing, but didn’t cause “psychological” damage the way whacking them with a stick across the nose might do. My goal was to make them respectful of me/my space, but not jumpy around objects. Cattle being cattle though, I have thwacked my fair share.

I‘ve also used a long straight driving whip. I tap/sting their front feet with it and tell them to “back”. Eventually, they learn the command and it’s easier to manage them when you don’t have your whip/stick/whatever with you.

Get on that halter training as soon as possible! The bigger she gets, the less fun it will be for you. I like to halter them up and tie them to a sturdy fence and let them have their first lesson fighting with themselves. I do that until they learn that they can’t get away and then I start teaching them to lead.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
The halter is still loose on her i careful pulling on it. But yesterday she lead fine today not so much so she got tied to eat. She taller then the adult female nubian goat i have now her heads a bit shorter then were the goats is but the goat has a much longer neck lol.

Attachments

• 20200324_112329.jpg
    20200324_112329.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 20200324_112340.jpg
    20200324_112340.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 378
  • 20200324_112329.jpg
    20200324_112329.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 354