1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Calf with eye gunk

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Cattle' started by ChickenAndGoatLover, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Jan 23, 2019
    ChickenAndGoatLover

ChickenAndGoatLover Chillin' with the herd

This am I went out to bring out some water to our goats and calf and found that our calf has a little bit of eye discharge. I didn't notice anything abnormal with his eyes themselves just small clumps of yellow discharge (in a clump like you see on dogs sometimes). There is nothing weeping and no nasal drainage. Does this sound like the start of pink eye or something pretty normal? I can certainly take pictures if needed.

Thanks!

2. Jan 24, 2019
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

Cold weather could be just about anything, a bit of a cold coming on. Just hard to say early on.

LlamaGirl4 likes this.
  3. Jan 24, 2019
    LlamaGirl4

LlamaGirl4 Overrun with beasties

And maybe you can post some pictures? That might help :)

4. Jan 24, 2019
    ChickenAndGoatLover

ChickenAndGoatLover Chillin' with the herd

Thanks for your responses. I went out to take pictures after I made my post yesterday and the discharge was gone. He still had no drainage and nothing at all today. I'm guessing maybe he got some hay or another irritant in his eyes. He has no symptoms at all. I'll keep a close eye and be sure to post pictures if anything comes up again. Thanks again!