California

Diamond Wire Farms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sierra Foothills outside of Sacramento in Placerville, CA. We have Chickens, geese, turkeys, KuneKune pigs and American Guineas Hogs.

JamesB

Just born
Reaction score
I think I am the farthest North so far. I live outside of Fort Jones California, a bustling micropolis of about 600 souls. We have 6 goats, a few guinea hens, a pair of geese, chickens, cats, and a dog. Thinking of getting a pig for my son to raise.

Kitdragon2000

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bay Area here! :D So fun to see other Cali people!! 6 dogs, 6 cats, rats, snakes only at the moment, looking into cows, goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks, and meat rabbits :D

FarmerBoy24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey Guys! Im in Southern California. Moreno Valley to be exact!, I have Mainly mixed rabbits, Planning to sale mostley all of them to get STANDARD and MINI REX!!! to replace.

I also do chickens! I have Many many egg laying hens, I'm starting to breed Lemon Cuckkoo Orpingtions, Cream Leg Bars, and Marans!!

Looking forward to this thread!

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Just tell him he can pee off the back porch and no one will see/care.

That seems to be a big seller in our neck of the woods for getting men to move to the country. LOL.
Too funny! And exactly right. We recently moved to Placerville on just over 5 acres. My husband just LOVES to pee off the deck. LOL. I told him as long as he aims away from the landscaping then its ok by me.

I came over here from the BYC as well. Like many people, I got a few chickens and now I've caught the homesteading bug! I've been spending all of my spare time reading this forum while I pretend to plan my little homestead. I'd like to get a few Nigerian Dwarf goats, a few pigs and some rabbits. I'd have to draw the line at cows though, don't have the space or pasture to support them. I live in a wooded area and there isn't all that much to browse on - mostly pine trees and some brush. Although I did read in the latest Grit magazine about a forgotten heritage breed of cow called a Pineywood that eats brush and pine needles so that got me all excited :)

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello,

Prohibiting the right to slaughter farm animals on your 1-10 acre property still in the draft El Dorado County General Plan Amendment/Zoning Update-- EDC residents please send your email in support of small farm rights to our Board of Supervisors. Without major input, the BOS will not reconsider. Keep El Dorado County Rural. Link to county http://www.edcgov.us/​landuseupdate/

Shawna Purvines TGPA-ZOU@edcgov.us Shawna is the person who is taking comments for the county. Here's a link to a timeline of the process. http://saveourcounty.ning.com/​foru...for-general-plan​-amendment-and-zoning-update

kian

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! I'm in Lancaster an hour north east of Los Angeles (high desert). I'd love to have pigs (ok, 1... maybe 2, but 1 for sure), but we literally have only a backyard. So not sure how that would work out, though we are zoned for them. Way too tiny to even think of cattle of any kind. We have 9 chickens and a Great Pyrenees (there's the whole backyard right there ;) ).

sonnythebunny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
guess i'll post the first post in 2013!
I live in the Bay Area, and have 2 rabbits and some baby rabbits soon! (march 30!)
and really want sheep, goats,a cow, chickens, and a horse :D