California

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am one of several admins on the "California Homesteaders" Facebook page, if anyone is interested. This group is for anyone who is interested in living a more self-sufficient, homesteading life, with a focus on those of us living in California. Its new, so we have a small following but hopefully we'll get more people so we have more knowledge and information that can be shared amongst ourselves. So if you are interested, feel free to join :)

~Sabrina

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Northern California here! We are in Middletown just north of Mount St Helena. Love my little mountain valley town.

We have 10 goats currently with one more doe to kid. 23 chickens, 4 dogs, and a cat. I am hoping to sell off the goats, buy sheep and possibly a pig or 2.

DiamondKKs

Just born
Reaction score
Placerville, CA here. KuneKune pigs, American Guinea Hogs, Chickens, Boer Goats, and a few Painted Desert Sheep.

3rdgenfarmer91

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just joined yesterday! And I'm in California! Actually I'm not far from you I live just over the hills by Tracy and modesto! And to top that off we own a small dairy with a few pigs and horses as well I'm looking to add rabbits to our stock and that what led me to this site!

maryellenks

Just born
Reaction score
I'm in Altadena, about 15 minutes outside Los Angeles. I have 15 chickens and three goats, although my ND Samantha is off on "romantic getaway" at the moment so I hope to have kids in the spring.

TheNewMrsEvans

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just moved back to CA, living south of Monterey in an area called Big Sur. We have Nubian goats, chickens and ducks. Trying to get everyone settled in...lots to do and build!
Wondering if anyone in the area has a good lead on hay. Found the feed store, but we'll go broke on their prices!
Glad to be back in Cali!!!

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome! Gorgeous area, lucky you :) I can't help you with feed prices, they are crazy here too. $20 for a bale of alfalfa. I'm afraid that the drought has had a major effect on feed prices all over the state, you are not alone.

tressa27884

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think I am the farthest North so far. I live outside of Fort Jones California, a bustling micropolis of about 600 souls. We have 6 goats, a few guinea hens, a pair of geese, chickens, cats, and a dog. Thinking of getting a pig for my son to raise.
I've been looking at property in the Fort Jones area. How is it to live there? I have 2 human kids (6 & 15), are the schools good?

Latest posts