Callie has passed

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. :hugs:hugs:hugs

Yesterday we cried all day, today was a little better.
Callie's grave has been dug.
We felt it fitting to bury her in the Kiko field. That was her love.
Tomorrow we will pick her up and allow her goats and Tiggs and D to say good bye.

It was hard for me to throw my bibs in the washer today. I just held them to my face so I could smell her. Part of me did not want to wash them.
This first pic was a gift from one of the kids... it was a compilation of pics of Callie as a pup. Given on Christmas 2015.
The rest are pics of Callie from November when she was enjoying family time.
Dec 25,2015 121 - Copy.JPG

00 015.JPG

00 018.JPG

00 019.JPG

00 023.JPG

00 024.JPG

00 025.JPG

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been wanting to post on here but just couldn't.

Thanks to everyone on here :hugs
Thanks for the prayers, condolences, posts, texts, messages, phone calls, and emails. :hugsI think most on here knows Callie, and everything she has gone through.

Callie was an amazing dog.
Most of y'all remember when she had her litter almost 2 years ago we almost lost her several times to hypocalcemia. She would have times where she was stable and than she would crash… every time she was close to death she would muster all her strength to be with her people.

When she was on deaths door she would still care for newborn kids. (Thread on this here- http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/the-heart-of-a-guardian.30469/ ) she had the heart of a guardian for sure. Everyone who met Callie absolutely loved her. There will never be another like her.

We won that battle.

She wanted to be with her people this time too. I think she took comfort in those few minutes in the house before we rushed her to the vets. Many gathered around her in those minutes and just gave all the love possible. Callie gave it back by giving kisses and her paw.

I'm thankful to have been with Cal till the end.

Callie, I'm sorry we couldn't beat this battle, lord knows we tried. Even in the midst of all this, Callie was strong and never showed fear. I have so much respect for these dogs.

While I was digging her grave it just didn't feel real. I just can't believe she's gone.

I think her son, Blue, knows something isn't right. While feeding the goats this morning he slid through the gate and ran towards me. He came and and ever so gently jumped up with a paw on each shoulder, kissed my face and wrapped his neck around mine. He was amazingly gentle this whole time. He just stood like this for over a minute. They all give lovins', but this was different. I can't explain it- but he knows something isn't right. This wasn't the norm. Not one of these dogs are jumpers. The way he did this, immediately… you'd have to be there to grasp it. I can't believe how amazingly gentle it was.
Part of Callie will live on in Blue, but part of my has been taken when she left.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
For those that didn't know Callie, I copied this of our farm FB page and am posting it here.
Today is filled with overwhelming grief for all of us here on the farm.We lost our most beloved Guardian Callie last night, despite the incredible sacrifice and efforts of many that tried to save her.

Many of you that follow us have met Callie, our wonderful Anatolian Shepherd.
She was adored by all that met her.
Callie was not “just” a dog or “just a LGD”. No, Callie was so very much more.
Callie was the best guardian, most loyal companion, friend, teacher of many, intuitive, loving, playful, stubborn, amazing dog that we have had the privilege of partnering with.

Callie had an extraordinary life with us. Callie saved the life of many goats over the years. Not just from predators but also when the goats would put themselves in near death situations. She saved her beloved goat “Moses” (our Kiko herdsire) from another massive buck that was just brought in tearing down a fence trying to kill Moses. She alerted us to when goats were hung up in trees or two goats horns were entangled and they were strangling. Alerted us to escaped goats, escaped sheep.
Callie trained up many dogs, patiently yet sternly working with them. Teaching them to respect her goats. Never dog aggressive and was always patient when a new dog or an up and coming female would try to challenge her. She always showed incredible restraint.
Newborn kids were always safe with Callie. She would crawl on her belly as to not scare the minutes old kids. She would retrieve naughty kids that didn't want to come when their dams called to them.

Callie would take her kills and place them next to the gate in her “pile” always letting us know that she was ever vigilant in protecting her goats.

The bond with Callie and Moses(her main man goat) was so intense that he would stand over her in the day while she slept. All the animals respected Callie. She demanded it.
Callie was as wonderful in the house as she was in her field. This gentle giant of 32inches and 135lbs would let any toddler climb all over her. All who met Cal loved her. We would often hear, “I want that dog”. We would laugh. We could take Callie anywhere.
Callie was truly the best example of what a Livestock Guardian should be. Even tempered, loyal, friendly, loving, yet fierce as a situation required.

I have buried many dogs in my lifetime but this time is different. A part of my heart has been taken. The grief we all feel here is beyond anything we have experienced. Life has changed.
We are so thankful to have some of Callie's offspring from her one and only litter. Callie and our best Pyr, “D” blessed us with 11 male puppies January 2015. A breeding we waited 3 years for. Callie lives on through them, especially our boy “Blue”. He is his momma to the T.

We say good-bye to our sweet friend, loyal companion, and our most valued guardian. I will miss kissing that sweet face, those long lanky legs, the paw that says we aren't done loving on you...
Callie, you are missed more than you know. We love you girl!