Calling all hand milkers!

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm starting to look into hand milking equipment and was just wondering if any of you seasoned hand milkers had any certain products that you liked more then others, or something that you found you wished you had at the beginning.

The heifer I'm thinking about getting was born this may, so it'll be while before I'm milking her, but I figured now was a good time to do my research. I read that you should use stainless steel.

Here is one of the many places that I have read and found helpful
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/...y-handling-raw-milk.html#sthash.rRKwLFlX.dpbs

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stainless steel is about the only type metal bucket that you can be sure will get clean and sanitary; that said I had a jersey with short legs and very low to the ground udder that I used a 16 qt canning kettle that was the blue speckled enamaled metal wear as it was the only thing that fit under her. Totally seamless inside. Whatever you use, it has to be SEAMLESS so that the interior is totally without any crevices inside. I know people that milk into a sturdy plastic bucket, and I have several 2 gal food grade plastic buckets that I milk into. They are from dunkin' donuts that the flavored frostings and fillings come in and are very sturdy and have lids that snap on tight. They will withstand a dishwasher so will get sanitized pretty good. Easier to carry with the snap on lid. Try looking at HAMBY dairy supply also. The biggest thing is seamless inside and able to clean and keep sanitary. Are you anywhere near a dairy supply store that you can go in and just browse? Like a feed store/co-op that has a dairy section? Or an actual dairy supple that caters to commercial dairy farmers? You don't have to spend a fortune, and looking now will give you a chance to really check out different options.
Have you ever gone on REALMILK.COM ? Also, look at magazines like countryside and others that cater to the homesteader type people. You can spend alot of money on stuff that you may not like or need and I admire that you are looking at this way ahead of time.
One thing, I store any/all milk in the refridge in GLASS jars not plastic. I get gal and 1/2 gal jars from a deli that has certain things like pickles and relish in them. Also, regular 1/2 gal canning jars work well. I use a large strainer with very fine woven cloth napkins for a "filter" but have also used coffee filters to strain the milk through prior to storage in the fridge. The cloth can be washed and reused but some people think it's not acceptable. The coffee filters, get the large ones that the commercial coffee pots use and they work good.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you get regular 1/2 gallon canning jars, ball brand, you can find them at most any store. Walmart's has them for about $11.00 for 6 so that is less than $2.00 each. They use normal canning jar lids, they are easy to clean and new lids are easy to buy. They also are made to withstand heat and are fairly sturdy. Not fancy, but very multi-purpose. Milk jars like the ones you posted the link to are nice, but they can be expensive and my concern would be getting them real clean inside. I can put my hand down inside a 1/2 gallon canning jar with a scrubbie and make sure there isn't anything stuck before it gets washed and sanitized. Any milk that I do on cow shares are in the canning jars.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We use something like this to clean the jars (click on it to see it fully).

You can also find it at Walmart or Target. ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_2953.jpg
    IMG_2953.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 133

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use glass milk bottles and I think they are great. The worst thing is that the usual bottle brushes with sturdier handles (I scrub hard) won't reach to the bottom of the 1/2 gallon sized bottles. The handles are too fat. I occasionally find a longer but less sturdy, bottle brush and use it on the bottom half of the larger bottles or, like this week when I broke my last longer bottle brush, I drop a green scrubby pad into the bottle and use the handle of a wooden spoon to scrub it along the corners and bottom of those the bottles. Then I scrub the rest with my sturdier brush.

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great advice! I love the glass gallon jars, but getting some 1/2 gallon would probably be a good idea too. I like how easy they are to clean. I didn't even know you could get 1/2 gallon canning jars, that sounds like it might be a good idea too!

There is a tractor supply fairly close to us, and we used to have a really good dairy/farm store but they have since changed it up and gone more tourist friendly =/ I definitely want to go cheaply as possible while still getting the right stuff. I do lots of shopping online, especially on Amazon. Can I get the big coffee filters on there? Would putting a coffee filter over the bucket while milking be a good idea? Would that help keep most of the hay and dirt out if she kicks up her feet?

I'll check out that website too, thanks! My daddy also has some old Hobby Farm books that I'm going to look though too.

The only reason I asked about putting her on a stand to milk was I wasn't sure how low she would be and I didn't want the pail to be too close to the dirt and get bacteria in the milk. I'm so new to this ;)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even low to ground you can always consider a piece of plywood for her to stand on while milking. It can be swept off, hosed, etc. I'd practice handling her feet and up her legs, all across her belly, etc., from a very early age -- easier to clean her and reach up to her udder when the time comes.

Jeffers offers milking sections....goats, cows.

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's a great idea about the plywood, thanks!

I'll check there too :D

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good point @Mini Horses, I almost forgot about that!
Every single heifer we have/have had gets used to being touched EVERYWHERE from a very early age. We tie them up for a short time each day, touch their udder, belly, head, ears, etc. It makes any future vet visits much easier, as well as milking when calving comes around.

Last edited:

Latest posts