Calving in Below Freezing

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For the first time we have a cow that is about to have a calf in winter. Usually we only see temps of around 0 Celsius / 30 Fahrenheit. This year we are seeing record lows, down to -10 Celsius / 14 Fahrenheit and quiet a bit of snow. 15 inches came down last week and we are expecting another 10 inches this weekend.

This cow is a shorthorn. I moved her to where I house our bottle calves yesterday, which is in open paddocks. They are covered only on the top but the sides are exposed to the air. Basically only the backs and the tops are blocking any wind, the sides are just 4 board fencing. I was planning on putting down a ton of straw and just locking her in at night. She always calves in the middle of the night and I worry if she is out in the field I may wake up to a frozen calf.

My question is am I over thinking this? Is this calf going to be fine whether it's born in the winter or the summer? Should I blanket this calf when its born? Is the paddock not enough? I have a horse barn we could always move her in there at night.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
There was a cow farmer in AK and he leaves 2-3 day old calves in the field in the winter. He has covered areas for them. I would assume if you have a covered area she should be fine. You may want to put up a heat lamp, so when the calf is wet of cold it could warm up some.

Reactions: cjc

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not a cow person - but I would worry about any critter being born at 14 degrees. I think the calf would be vulnerable to frostbite at the very least. It would probably be fine after it's up, nursed and is dry....but I'd worry about it up until then. And, who can resist a baby critter in a cute blankie!

I'm sure some other folks will chime in and have a better answer than me. Good luck!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The danger is the temp and the wind. Calf is born wet, with minimal hair. Hooves may not be real solid either. Frostbite is a real possibility on ears, hooves and tail. Wind chill just takes energy right out of a new born.
Get a tarp or something similar to make a wind break on the sides of your bottle calf structure. Have plenty of towels handy.
Be there when she has it, and get it dried off and up as soon as you can, and don't forget momma. She has to get up so it can nurse. She probably won't want to if is's bitter cold, but she has to.
Put plenty of hay down and keep momma and calf confined for a couple of days.
Heat lamps if you have electricity out there.
If the area is too small, the liklihood of momma stepping on calf increases.
If, the wind is down, it's dry, and it's sunny, then calf and momma will probably do fine on their own during cold weather, as long as it's not single digit or below. Lots of prairie northern beef producers calve in winter instead of fall to keep from feeding calves thru winter and spring for sale.

Plan your breeding so calving takes place at a warmer time of year.

Last edited:

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The danger is the temp and the wind. Calf is born wet, with minimal hair. Hooves may not be real solid either. Frostbite is a real possibility on ears, hooves and tail. Wind chill just takes energy right out of a new born.
Get a tarp or something similar to make a wind break on the sides of your bottle calf structure. Have plenty of towels handy.
Be there when she has it, and get it dried off and up as soon as you can, and don't forget momma. She has to get up so it can nurse. She probably won't want to if is's bitter cold, but she has to.
Put plenty of hay down and keep momma and calf confined for a couple of days.
Heat lamps if you have electricity out there.
If the area is too small, the liklihood of momma stepping on calf increases.
If, the wind is down, it's dry, and it's sunny, then calf and momma will probably do fine on their own during cold weather, as long as it's not single digit or below. Lots of prairie northern beef producers calve in winter instead of fall to keep from feeding calves thru winter and spring for sale.

Plan your breeding so calving takes place at a warmer time of year.

Ok, I think what I will do is just move mama into the barn at night. I will put tarps up on the paddock sides just in case she does have the calf during the day and I will cover the bottom in straw. Our barn keeps a decent temperature but we have a big heater, when the calf is born ill turn it on for the first few days.

We always calf early spring but this girl took a long time to take, I think I put the bull in too early after her last calf, all our other calves were born months ago. This year I will give her more time before putting the bull in so she has a calf in spring.

I just bought this calf blanket. Cost me a $100 but hopefully will keep her calf warm when I move them out of the barn.

Calf Blanket.jpg

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've calved hundreds of cows in cold weather. If they can get out of the wind, and the calf is born on straw/cornstalks, they will be just fine down to 0 degrees F. I would say that the biggest thing is to keep them out of the wind. The cow licking the calf will stimulate it and help to dry it off. One really cold year I had some cows that calved in -10 to -20 degree weather. Calves lost the tips of their ears, but were just fine otherwise.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've calved hundreds of cows in cold weather. If they can get out of the wind, and the calf is born on straw/cornstalks, they will be just fine down to 0 degrees F. I would say that the biggest thing is to keep them out of the wind. The cow licking the calf will stimulate it and help to dry it off. One really cold year I had some cows that calved in -10 to -20 degree weather. Calves lost the tips of their ears, but were just fine otherwise.

Thanks for the advice! Luckily our weather turned around a bit, we are up beyond freezing now and getting some warmer weather. I still have her in the back paddocks now she just needs to hurry up and calf!

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok everyone my girl is in labour! It's a nice -7 here this morning! We had a warm patch and I was really hoping she would calf but of course she waited until we got another 2 feet of snow and some freezing air. It's -7, feels like -20. I have her in the paddock, sides covered, sawdust down with straw on top. I have towels and a calf blanket ready for baby!

Really, really hoping it's a heifer calf! I only got bull calves this year and she's my best cow. The water sac is visible now and she is mooing away so shouldn't be much longer. I will post some pics as soon as baby is here.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
They will always calve when the weather changes, has to do with the air pressure/barometer changing...Since it is day, you will be able to make sure the calf gets dry. Don't put the calf coat on until it is real dry... and make sure that momma doesn't refuse it due to the calf coat....They are mainly for dairy calves that are in hutches and don't have a momma to lick it. Beef cows are funny about stuff like that. The biggest thing is to make sure it has a dry place to sleep and can find a place to get out of the wind. They will nurse more often to keep their body heat up and a good cow will usually try to make sure that the calf is bedded in a decent draft free place. If you have some wind block and a roof to go under they should be fine. Hope it is a heifer....