Can 2 Male Rabbits Live Together If Spayed?

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Could I keep 2 males together if they're spayed? Or a male and female if spayed? Or 2 males and 1 female?
Thanks!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spaying is done to females, and they are just called spayed..... males are castrated.... called gelding in horses....steers in cattle.... barrows in hogs..... wethers in sheep and goats....capons in chickens...... I am sure there are other terms in other breeds... Neutered is an all around term for a "fixed male".
I am not a rabbit person, so don't know how compatible a fixed or neutered animal would be; with others.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It largely depends on their temperaments. They could still fight whether neutered or not. Lots of people do have more than one rabbit, but they give them plenty of living space. If you get them at a young age, that helps a great deal.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Spaying is done to females, and they are just called spayed..... males are castrated.... called gelding in horses....steers in cattle.... barrows in hogs..... wethers in sheep and goats....capons in chickens...... I am sure there are other terms in other breeds... Neutered is an all around term for a "fixed male".
I am not a rabbit person, so don't know how compatible a fixed or neutered animal would be; with others.
whoops 🤦‍♀️
ok thanks!

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It largely depends on their temperaments. They could still fight whether neutered or not. Lots of people do have more than one rabbit, but they give them plenty of living space. If you get them at a young age, that helps a great deal.
Okay, I would be getting them young, and they would have lots of space.
Thank you!

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have 4 young males 3 1/2 to 4 months old in one pen and 4 to 5 females, same age, in other pens, together. None are fixed but like Fishychix said, depends on theyre temperament. The females don't cause any trouble, theyre all good together but the males, from 2 different mothers, some got very aggressive. I mean bloody aggressive! So I culled the aggressive ones, (theyre California White meat rabbits anyway), and so far, all is good. :)

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My cousin and I raised rabbits as children in our teens I had cages he had a shed. He put 12 bunnies (10 males and 2 females) in the shed and fed and watered them and raised them for 15 months. Then he decided to butcher them. He had 12 very large nzb with 2 females and 10 neutered male. Rabbits will neuter the males. Squirrels will do the same. Have even had female rabbits neutered my male when running loose.

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My cousin and I raised rabbits as children in our teens I had cages he had a shed. He put 12 bunnies (10 males and 2 females) in the shed and fed and watered them and raised them for 15 months. Then he decided to butcher them. He had 12 very large nzb with 2 females and 10 neutered male. Rabbits will neuter the males. Squirrels will do the same. Have even had female rabbits neutered my male when running loose.
Yes, females have been known to neuter the males, in some case's.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have two unfixed male rabbits living together and it was their idea. For some reason, male bunnies want to hang out with Phineas Phogge. There have been two different bucks that have wiggled their way through the wire separating Phin's space from the rest of the buck hutch. They just hang out together and seem happy, I have no idea why. Otherwise, we have had males fight and injure each other, but none of them have ever been neutered.

There is a doe herd of anywhere between four and ten does who all live together. Other than watching to make sure the shy ones get enough to eat (the others can be pigs at times) there's usually no issues with them. We did have one diva doe who was too bossy to live with the others, though. But mostly the doe herd can all hang out together.

Each rabbit is different, some get along and some don't.

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes they can but like you said, some can become aggressive toward others. I raise California Whites. I have a cage with two males, one about 1year old and the othe about 8 months old and they get along fine. I have pen that I had 6- 6 month old males in but had to seperate 2 of them for theyre agressiveness, and put them in cages with ones they could get along with. Its a process, but it can work. I have to because I have so many of them and not enough cages and pens but today is culling/processing day, so I'll be having more space soon. :weee

Latest posts