Can 68in electric netting stop a mountain lion?

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I’m talking to guy who might lease his 5 acres for my goats to graze. But there is some problems. The property is on the creek and there are a lot of coyotes and 1-2 mountain lion who walk the creek at night. I had a kid killed 2 months ago by one. The problem is that he is in the city and you can’t have a barking dogs so the LGD is out. I was thinking all mountain videos I have seen jumping fence they almost always touch the top of the fence if the fence is 6ft. Would the 68inch premier one netting stop a mountain lion? I think it will as long as the lion cant jump down from a tree. Any ideas?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don’t know about the electric netting and a mountain lion. What stuck out for me is that coyotes and cougars are ok but a barking dog to keep them from killing your goats, is not. Wow.

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Don’t know about the electric netting and a mountain lion. What stuck out for me is that coyotes and cougars are ok but a barking dog to keep them from killing your goats, is not. Wow.
WELCOME TO SOCAL

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any way to lock them up at night so predators couldnt get to them. I honestly wouldnt know if the fence would work.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There’s a lot of variables with electrical fencing. What kind of power supply do you have for that fencing? How many joules will your controller produce? What’s the ground cover like, is there a lot of tall grass that could potentially be pulling power out of your fence? Does it have good soil to provide a proper ground?
Here’s an experience I had with my dog. She can jump a 6 foot fence no issue. I put a line of hot wire around the top of the kennel to stop her. She jumped out again no issue. I didn’t have proper grounding for the fence to work so I redid it so it would have proper ground. Dog tried to get over the fence, got shocked, and still made it over the fence because she just wanted away from whatever shocked her. She landed and did what she always does and just wouldn’t go back in her kennel because it was gonna bite her.
So will your fence stop a predator like a mountain lion? Maybe, if all the variables work in your favor. I believe that hot wire is a wonderful tool to keep domestic animals in or out of a certain area so long as there is no immediate threat. I say that because I’ve watched frightened animals run through hotwire like it wasn’t even there. But I wouldn’t count on it to keep a determined predator out.

Stephine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just had a long call with a mountain lion expert. Check out their website: Living with Lions.
I think a mountain lion could jump that fence easily. Also electric fencing in the dry season isn’t so simple, since the ground won’t close the current. You’d have to have the type that has the return wires and an animal would have to hit both wires at the same time.
The worse problem is that if he gets shocked on his first try and gets in and feels trapped, he is likely to kill everything that moves in the enclosure - that’s what a trapped, scared mountain lion does.
Locking up the animals overnight is safest (that is from maybe an hour before sunset to an hour or so after the sun comes up - the lions are very active around dawn and dusk). Make sure that the goats in their shelter can’t be seen from the creek (cover the bottom 5 feet at least with solid material), so the cats don’t come over to investigate. I would give Living with Lions a call and see what they recommend for fencing for day time, but if you can’t lock them up at night I would definitely pass on that pasture! We are on a wildlife corridor in Sonoma...

Latest posts