Can a wyandotte have a single comb?

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 4 Wyandotte's 1 roo and 3 hens they are about a year old. Anyways all my Wyandotte's have single combs except 1 hen she has a rose comb. I have been told that they are not Wyandotte's because of the single comb is that true? I just hatched 4 eggs and looks like all but one of those is a single comb aswell. If I want to sell them can I sell them as Wyandotte's if they have a single comb?

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I bought them as chicks from the local feed store and they told me they where slw

RonC

Just born
Reaction score
I have two. One has a rose comb and the other has a single comb. They aren't show chickens but very friendly birds.

BYCDebiD

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'd advertise them as pet quality just to avoid anyone complaining later. If you're seriously considering getting into breeding, though, I'd get stock from a breeder. They'll cost a little more but you will be starting with fewer faults to correct. And you really don't want to use a single comb rooster for SLW...

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If they are pure Wayndotte's they will have a rose comb . Some say they can have a single comb but I don't think so . The wayndotte rose comb is a dominate trait that will even over power the straight comb of a Black French Copper Marans . In more cases than not the rose comb will dominate the cross . I cross Marans with goldlaced Wayndotte's .I have yet to have one with a straight comb . I really like the out come. They are always black and are a very vigorous hybrid . There are many breed's with the laced pattern . I would say that your line was developed using one with a straight comb and bred heavy that way . If you like your chickens that's really all that matters . Wayndottes are know for being friendly chickens and good year round layers . that is one of the reasons I chose to keep and raise them . I have both Gold and Silver .

Ol Grey Mare

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hatchery grade birds are not the result of the careful breeding that maintains breed standards - while single combs are recessive, in a poorly managed breeding program you can end up with single combs in pure bred Wyandotte birds - a good breeder would opt not to breed birds that have these out of standard characteristics but for hatchery stock it's all about numbers, not standards, so birds with genetics that would be removed from a good program are left to pass those genetics onto their offspring and to mate with other birds with the same undesirable genetics.
That being said, your birds may not be Wyandotte at all - - it would help if you would take and post photos of them so that we can see the whole birds and assess all characteristics, not just comb type, that go into differentiating between breeds.

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the info will be posting pics soon fixing to go get some now.