1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Can alpaca eat Calf Starter?

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Llamas and Alpacas' started by chicks & ducks, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Apr 13, 2013
    chicks & ducks

chicks & ducks Loving the herd life

Right now we have our 7 day old lone calf in with our lone alpaca and they get along fine. I'm concerned about the alpaca having access to medicated calf starter. We had a bucket in with us today when we bottle fed the calf and the alpaca went crazy trying to get some! My instincts tell me that it's probably not a good idea to leave it in there free choice, I think the alpaca will stuff his lil belly with starter! Still, thought I would check here just in case.

Thanks so much for reading! :D
    b

2. Apr 13, 2013
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

Don't let the alpaca have the medicated feed. Depending on the medication, it can kill them.