Can anyone help me make some awesome silage out of fava beans?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why eat Bermuda when it grows there like a weed and it's free? Silly sheep have expensive taste.
I've been making my grass and forbs list...... I sprigged some Bermuda last fall that I dug across the road, it escaped from the pasture. Even raising pigs in that pasture didn't faze it. I also sprigged some Bahia, but the pigs rooted up and ate most of it. The sheep love Bahia, so I'll go dig some more and sprig it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bermuda grass lawns were common where I grew up. They turned brown every winter but they still kept the mud under control. But boy did they make me itch when I played on the lawn as a kid. My parents never planted the lawn, it just showed up after the house was built, didn't take it long to take over the lawn area and the flower beds, it is one hardy plant. I am sure that the stuff for bermuda hay is different than lawn, but it isn't grown or imported into my part of CA. There is a summer alfalfa I would like to try to grow too, but our "soil" is rock so probably wouldn't do well.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/farm-seed/legumes/alfalfa/summer-alfalfa-cover-crop-seed-2808.html

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bermuda for pastures and hay fields can get 2 feet tall or more. It grows fast, is great grass and my sheep curl their picky lips up at it.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Did you have to irrigate at all? Probably not last year, but on an average year would you have to irrigate? I am going to try to grow Tagasaste for my goats, basically it is renewable browse.

https://lucernetreefarm.wordpress.com/

Whoops, so sorry babs...I did not see your post!

We had to irrigate a tiny bit in May. Other than that, we did nothing else except prepare the soil, plant the seeds, and harvest 6-8 months later. It is most definitely a high yield low maintenance crop. Next week, I plan upon planting 10 times more that last year...I may irrigate it just to kick start it.

I also plan upon planting the annual rye and crimson clover...lots and lots of it...and all to be done hopefully next week.

Finally, trying to decide to plant either another half acre of the perennial or a full acre. Last year's perennial pasture grew about a million times better that I ever imagined...I would like to increase the perennial for this upcoming year...

Latest posts