Can coyotes jump a 4 ft fence?

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a 65 ft square fenced in area for my two does. I built a shelter that I lock them up in at night but they prefer to stay out. We have coyotes pretty bad here and I am afraid to not enclose them at night. Do you think coyotes could jump over the fence? It is very solid with barb wire at the base to deter digging???

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
YUP... and they will go over, under, around and through it without even hardly breaking a stride. Our area is HEAVILY INFESTED with coyotes and they are HUNGRY. My across the street neighbor has 6' tall fences with barbed wire on the top and bottom and regularly shoots 2-3 coyotes a month inside his 20 acre fenced and crossfenced sheep pastures. He hangs the dead coyotes on his fences as a warning/ deterant to others. However that only works for only about a week.He regularly looses about 10-15 lambs a year. last year the coyotes killed his huge male Rotty guard dog. All he found in his back 5 acre pasture was his head and hide, the rest of the carcass was eaten. I too have 20 acres and 6' fences, I have about 30 horses here. We have coyote community sing alongs every night within 100' of our house. I also shoot them every chance that I get but don't seem to put a dent in their bad behavior. I wish you luck !

Pumpkinpup

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They are a absolute scurge! I hate them with a passion. Not much seems to slow tham down. My suggestion is to get you a GP. It's the only thing I have found to keep them at bay. Good luck!

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ooohh. where are you guys located?? I haven't heard any around here but that is scary!

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Ug. We have yotes too, but as long as we keep their population down, they dont bother us. We are selctive in our kills....we try to kill females. If you shoot most the males, the females will breed with male dogs giving you the dreaded coy-dog. You DONT want those.

The only way to keep a hungry yote out of the pasture is with a well placed bullet.
How can you tell which are females???

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
jmsim93 said:
redtailgal said:
Ug. We have yotes too, but as long as we keep their population down, they dont bother us. We are selctive in our kills....we try to kill females. If you shoot most the males, the females will breed with male dogs giving you the dreaded coy-dog. You DONT want those.

The only way to keep a hungry yote out of the pasture is with a well placed bullet.
How can you tell which are females???
Just like humans. The ones making the most noise! :D

Holsteno

Just born
Reaction score
this made me :gig

we have coyotes here in FL too, but not as much our main predators are foxes smart little things.