Can Does Have Kits Together?

Barred Rock Mama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a bonded Mama and Baby who I would like to breed this coming spring. Could they have kits together, in the same cage? The cage is very large, and they both fit in it very well. The nesting box is large, and I could put a second one in there, no promises they'll use it, lol.

Or could I have them separated when they are about to kindle and have them inside cages where they can see each other, but they will have separate nesting boxes, and then once they have kindled, put them back together? I would hate to break their bond.

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a bonded Mama and Baby who I would like to breed this coming spring. Could they have kits together, in the same cage? The cage is very large, and they both fit in it very well. The nesting box is large, and I could put a second one in there, no promises they'll use it, lol.

Or could I have them separated when they are about to kindle and have them inside cages where they can see each other, but they will have separate nesting boxes, and then once they have kindled, put them back together? I would hate to break their bond.
I have heard that once a rabbit is bred they fight with any other female. I am not 100% sure if this is true. I am going to be testing this out also next spring so we can find out together! I am going to try and separate them and then breed and have them raise their babies alone next to each other with only mesh wire in between and then try putting them back together after the babies are gone.

barefoot_bast

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I colony raise. I have no idea how large your cages are, but in my rabbit pens, my does are absolutely fine with another doe kindling in the same area (I have had up to five kindling at the same time in a pen). Sometimes (often) they even share a nest. In five years, I have yet to have any issues in that regard.