Can horses eat Cucumber..and others??

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can they eat the occasional cucumber? What about tomatoes? I have a little garden and I split it mostly with my guinea pigs, but they are very young and still figuring out foods other than pellets. I'd love to treat my 2 horsies with a cucumber or a couple tomatoes. Please let me know, thanks!

Quinn4321

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am sure that will be fine. Just don't give too much... they arent used to it.
I give my horse part of my sandwich.... and I have given him pickles, and grapes, and pretzels... he loves food.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Quinn4321 said:
I give my horse part of my sandwich.... and I have given him pickles, and grapes, and pretzels... he loves food.
Well, he is a guy, they always have time for food...lol!
Ok, I'll see what my pair does with them. I'm sure my pony will give more heck about it than my mare. He's such a weirdo. :)

Quinn4321

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
secuono said:
Quinn4321 said:
Well, he is a guy, they always have time for food...lol!
Ok, I'll see what my pair does with them. I'm sure my pony will give more heck about it than my mare. He's such a weirdo. :)
Special horses are cool... because they are special. LOL. Ponies love pretty much everything. I hope they enjoy it!

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would not feed cucumbers, they produce gas in the digestive system. Horses can't burp
like cattle. Horses can react badly to gas inside. I am sure some horses eat cucumbers and
had no issues, but I would avoid the possible problem by NOT feeding ANY cucumbers to my horses.

You might want to check a people Breast-feeding list of foods to eat and avoid. I know
cucumbers were on it, because they give the baby gas as well. And you DO NOT want
to deal with a baby who has painful gas in his system! Other vegtables can also cause
gas, so you want to avoid them also. I was quite surprised at some of them when I read
the list of foods you should avoid as a nursing mother, because the problem passes thru
you to the baby. Then you get to deal with unhappy baby. Easier to avoid the foods
that cause problems.

Tomatoes might not be good if fed in any quantity. Not sure horses will eat them!?
Anyway they contain a lot of acid, could make them sore going thru if they ate a
quantity (more than 2). Might give horse the runs.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are mini tomatoes, quarter size or so. Alright, guess I will hope the guinea pigs will eat them in time. The chickens are picky and the ducks do not believe in treats..lol. Most of the cucumbers I use for my fish.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
lol, do you eat any of your garden food?
My horses love mellons of any kind, apples, pears and of course grains but they won't eat Oranges.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not one for what I call "grass", lol. I like grapes, banana, apples, pears, broccoli & cauliflower. Everything else is ick! Garden was for my fiance, but he is being weird by it. Eggs from our hens are ew cus they come from their 'butts', garden greens come from the lawn where the spiders and crickets are at...what a baby. :/
So, Most go to my guinea pigs, tomatoes to the chickens, cucumber to my fish, w/e else to w/e else will eat it.

proudtobeafarmgirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My horses love cucumbers - they get the big over grown ones. They also enjoy corn stalks and cobs - in moderation, and one thing all my horses absoloutly love and I plant some just for them are sunflowers! The most fun is to lead your horse up to a great big sunflower stalk and watch them destroy the poor thing, leaves, head and eventually stalk get gobbled up. beets are also a treat for a couple of my horses, I either cut them up or feed them on the ground so the horses can bite off chunks and not choke on them.

FarmersDaughter725

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Like goodhors said, cucumbers may cause gas. I know they make people belch like crazy. As stated previously, horses can't belch, so the gas may build up inside them causing some problems. For the most part, most of the horse I know that people have fed cucumbers to didn't have any problems. They just farted like crazy.

Tomatoes I would say no to. They are acidic and can cause stomach ulcers in horses.