Can I feed lamb milk replacer to a bottle goat?

Iceblink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So I bought a big bag of lamb milk replacer and ended up not needing most of it. Can I use it to feed a bottle goat?

I've read that sheep milk is.. richer than goats' but maybe if I dilute it?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
So I bought a big bag of lamb milk replacer and ended up not needing most of it. Can I use it to feed a bottle goat?

Does it specifically say lamb replacer only? Mine says "lamb and kid" replacer, and has different mixing instructions for each type. What kind of replacer is it?

Iceblink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It is "Ultra Fresh Lamb Milk Replacer" by Land O Lakes. The directions don't say anything about kids, just lambs.

I already have it, so I didn't want to buy something else, but I will if I have to.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
It is "Ultra Fresh Lamb Milk Replacer" by Land O Lakes. The directions don't say anything about kids, just lambs.

I already have it, so I didn't want to buy something else, but I will if I have to.
I just looked up the guaranteed analysis on both the LOL Kid and Lamb milk replacers. They're pretty different. Here's the lamb, here's the kid.

The kids would probably survive on the lamb, but I'd be safe and buy the kid stuff. JMO.

Iceblink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right, I will probably buy the kid milk replacer. The analysis' are significantly different, but the ingredients and order of the ingredients is pretty much the same. Interesting.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Iceblink said:

Where we are, i have not even seen Kid milk replacer. We've used the Land O' Lakes Lamb replacer, thru the years, to stretch the goat milk when necessary. Compared to other brands it seems to do a better, more consistant job. Of course... nothing beats straight goats milk ! Mea.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The Land o lakes lamb is what my vet specifically recommended for my kids. I couldn't find it here, so I'm using Save a Lamb instead. I'll mix it with the goats milk ($5.00 a gallon) I bought from a nearby farm.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
...if you don't have goats milk I would use Vitamin D whole milk from the grocery store. Most milk replacers are too rich and can cause the kid to scour...PM Roll Farms she is the bottle kid pro.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'd guess that 50% of the goat people I asked, and articles I've read, are for vit D milk and the other are for replacer...and both are dead set against the other. And both are sucessful. It's tough for a newbie..

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
RockyToggRanch said:
I'd guess that 50% of the goat people I asked, and articles I've read, are for vit D milk and the other are for replacer...and both are dead set against the other. And both are sucessful. It's tough for a newbie..
You're completely right! You just have to find what works for you!