Can I get your opinion on my does

Sweet horizon Nigerians

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Please be honest with your opinions and or critisms I would like to know the good and bad about them, will also try to get more pics

IMG_20170930_113350.jpg
IMG_20170930_113328.jpg

Aameerah is a 9 month old (born 12/19/16) chocolate chamiosse doeling (top pic) adga Nigerian
IMG_20170930_113825.jpg

IMG_20170923_184025.jpg

Cami 5 year old buckskin doe adga Nigerian

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not a confirmation expert either, other than udders. And I have even less experience with nigis. Have to leave this question to the show pros.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm no expert but here's an opinion --

Personally, I like the body length on the young one. She's a touch high at the withers but, that is probably just a growth issue right now as well as her posture LOL. Otherwise, appears to have a level topline. Leg placement appeals to me, with good chest. Can't see width but, with decent weight at her age & body size, good depth from side, would guess the width would be comparable. Legs look nice & straight in front, well angled at back. I see no cow hock issue with the picture there. Her hip & shoulder angles equal nicely. I would buy her if looking.

The doe, appears nice. Harder to tell details on her due to the coloring throwing you off in the picture angles. I'm thinking may be a tiny bit slight in the hip. Overall she appears very healthy and sturdy. Would definitely be one I would look at closer if several were presented in a lot.

We have some REAL show people here who can help with your questions. But I like to point out what I see when I look. Will enjoy reading their input. Always like to learn from them.

Sweet horizon Nigerians

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for your input @Mini Horses what angles/pics would be better? (How do they need to stand for best photos) I will try to get some more photos later this afternoon if I can get one of my brothers to take them

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saw your post the other day but haven't had any time to post anything.
I just saw your other post about shows in your region etc.

As far as "setting" up your doe or buck...
It takes some practice and patience. ;)

I don't show but my partner on the farm does. She will be taking 20+ does to NC State Fair in 2 weeks.
I get to do the fitting. :th I stay on the farm to run things. :D =D

Looking at your first two pics-
I think you are doing a great job!
When using something to distract them they can get out of their best position and end up not looking the way you want. I have bloopers pics that can show you what I mean.

The second pic is better than the first because she is more "squared" legs are much better in position
The front legs are a little far forward... can you see that

Below is your pic- I used (feeble attempt) paint to try and explain- I think having something visual is helpful... I have blooper photos of our goats that will help you as well I think.

The red line over rear= this is nice :) You want to be able to drop in "invisible pin" down the pin bones that goes straight down to the hocks and pasterns.

The yellow line over the rump, it looks like you are "tickling" in the wrong area, the green line represents where is usually best to "tickle" to help the goat level out.

The pink line represents the topline, you want the goat to at least be level or uphill.

Keeping the head high plays a big part. Some goats will try to pull their body down when being handled, this can make the does legs appear "knobby", make the pasterns to look weak, and the feet toe out- as indicated by the blue lines.
I suspect she may have also angled in her hocks- iow if you looked from behind the legs would angle toward each other causing the toes to point out.

@Goat Whisperer (farm partner)walked by and she is contributing to the post as well.

Anyway I see some really nice things about this girl. Looks like she has nice angulation, nice long neck, brisket looks well defined, and I suspect with a little more working with we will see a nice topline too. :)

It is always nice to see them just standing in the field and see how they just "look"... Often on a stand they are a little less cooperative and tend to not show themselves in the best light.

Your other doe- on the stand it is really hard to tell much because she is simply being silly and wanting what you have so she is really stretched. The natural photo is very nice.

I will get some good pics and the blooper pics and post them.
BTW- Welcome to BYH! :frow

IMG_20170930_113328.jpg

Sweet horizon Nigerians

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you @Southern by choice and @Goat Whisperer very informative. I will try my best to get some better photos of her without the use of food. In the photo you painted on I had just finished running my hand down her back when my nephew took the photo lol. So essentially her front legs need to move back (I had thought so when I saw the photo) when you you suspect she angled in her hocks is that something that setting up correctly would fix you think?
Thank you again

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your first doe's rump is too steep at least in the pic
Could be how she is standing
Better to judge when she is on the move if the rump levels out when she is walking.
I have a doe who went Best in Show a few weeks ago who I think her rump is too steep but apparently it levels when she walks
At least that what the judge said
I like your 5 year old