Can I keep a Doe and a Buck together 24/7?

Barred Rock Mama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have one Holland Lop doe right now. Unfortunately, her sister passed away this morning. She is 6 months old, and I am possibly going to get a buck for her. Would I be fine to keep them together always, or would they over mate or would other problems occur? I am used to chickens and just started rabbits in September. Thanks for all the help!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
They will breed and breed. They may fight and one or both be injured. Rabbits do best (IMO) in individual cages they can be very territorial. The buck may kill the kits, or the doe could be bred before weaning the kits. Rabbits do just fine by themselves.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you have my luck it'll take that buck about a blink of an eye to figure out whose who or she will and you'll have a pregnant doe or a castrated buck. Don't put them together for a second unless you're there and definitely want kits.

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, all them answers are right! Another thing I learned not to do, is not trying to raise 6 bucks in a pen, together. Once they get to breeding age, the fights are on and a lot of injured rabbits! ;)

Barred Rock Mama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yep, all them answers are right! Another thing I learned not to do, is not trying to raise 6 bucks in a pen, together. Once they get to breeding age, the fights are on and a lot of injured rabbits! ;)
Thank you for the response!

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You got that right. I would have never thought they'd castrate each other. It was ghastly.