Can I keep pregnant and nursing doe rabbits together?

Blessedwithpets

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi I’m trying to upgrade all my rabbits to large cages. The problem is I have limited space so I’m wondering if the females/does can live together with their babies if I can manage to bond them. I have 2 mini Rex breeder does that are sisters one has some weaned babies and the other should be giving birth in 4 days. Im gonna wait to bond them till after these babies are weaned so the hormones are more balanced I guess but I also have 2 weaned does that im keeping and im getting 2 New Zealand mix does to breed just for pets. Anyways I just want to know if I can keep them together in a 12x4 pen under an enclosed metal roof and it’s possible I might be able to build a run for them. I just don’t want them to hurt each other babies and I want to litter train them. Im going to keep my 2 bucks in separate 4x4 cages. I want all of my cages to be walk in. Now I just have to figure out how to afford it 😬. Im 14 so don’t have a ton of money. Any tips would be great! Thank in advance, God bless!!!

Blessedwithpets

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If my dad helps me pay for it there is a possibility to expand the roof to make it 12 by something depending on how much I can expand. But I don’t know if he would.

Blessedwithpets

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Mini Horses who has rabbits?
I’m 14 and Live with my parents. They are mostly my rabbits but my dad helps pay for them sometimes. Other than that I have full responsibility of them. I’m just needing to know if I can keep my does together with thier babies. I’m thinking 10 ft.² per rabbit. I’m trying to get a 12 x 10, or a 20 x 10 but they are all expensive. I’m probably only going to have 10 does.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I raised rabbits in hanging wire cages, in a barn, some hung in a 3 sided shed, that were 2’ deep and 3’ wide. Domestic rabbits raised on dirt will pick up parasites. They may also burrow out.

I wouldn’t raise does and babies together in a group. But that’s just my opinion.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I understand your concerns. Separate everybody as quickly as possible. Some can get along until they don't and it gets real ugly quick. Litter last summer one buck castrated his brother. I separated best I could, put a young doe in with her Mom. Mom thrashed her every chance she got. Had to quickly build another hutch. 20 plus years ago Doe got pregnant she was in with another female when she kindled. One of them chewed the babies. I couldn't save any. I know people raise them together, my experience separate.

Last edited:

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know that some people raise rabbits in colonies but it's really just the owner's preference if you notice the does picking on the kits I would remove them quickly but it also depends on the cage size.

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't raise them together considering everything that can go wrong but it's up to you.