can I leave my little ones with the rest of the girls?

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Our two week old does are still in with their mother. I have two other pregant does in there also. The one should kid in 2-3 weeks and the other in Nov. The little ones are doing great eating grain and hay and just hopping around the place and climbing on things. My question is I saw one of the other does head butt the one and she yipped like a dog. Are they okay with the rest of the girls? At what age do you introduce a new one to the herd? We introduced a 8 week old buck the end of July and they leave him alone most of the time. I have a 6 and 8 week old does also that are in another pen because they are still being bottle fed.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I let mom's and babies out of their respective kidding stalls and back into the herd after 4 days of bonding. The little ones find out really quick which adults to avoid.

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That is good to know. Cause we are planning on leaving them together for now. I guess when the next one kids her's will know also. Animals must be smarter than blondes sometimes. :lol:

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would keep a watchful eye just to make sure all is well.
My does w/kids each get a stall of their own and a big pasture.
If your areas are large enough, they all will work it out.

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When I was out early this morning and giving hay and doing the normal routine they pretty much stayed away from each other. I know that doe will be different when she kids in a few weeks.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I do the same as Sandie - 2 to 4 days in a private stall, then out into the nursery pen. In winter, I might keep them up longer to make sure the kids can get under a heat lamp...but that is my general rule.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree with the above..

I saw a 2-3 day old kid get horn hooked under the chin and flipped over backward yesterday. Didn't happen at my place, mind you, but... Anyway, the kid got up, looked a little goofy for a minute, then went BAAAAAA and ran to its mama.

They're tough...that's not to say that bad things don't happen -- they do, occasionally -- but there are millions of years worth of ruthless horn hookings built into a baby goat's body.

Just keep an eye out..

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
None of mine have horns, so I don't have to worry about that. I have seen my other mom's nudge the kids that aren't her's out of the way. Couldn't believe they were so gentle in getting rid of the little twerps.

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All our goats have horns so I am just watching them. Everyone seems to be getting along. I do have a separate pen if I need to separate my doe and her little ones. It connects to our main pen, but there is a gate attached. I can see my goat pens from the house, so I check on them a couple times during the day. My human kids are both adults so I have four legged ones now. :gig