Can I raise a mini zebu without pasture?

Truscifi

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a half acre that currently has a pig on. She has done a good job clearing the undergrowth, but there are still a lot of trees back there. When she goes off to freezer camp, could I put a mini zebu back there? I would like to have a family milker, but I only have 1 1/2 acres total, and only the half acre properly fenced for livestock.

Truscifi

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How much does a mini eat? I've heard they need about 1/3 what a full size cow would eat, but I don't know what that translates into for actual amounts.

Pumpkinpup

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If it's milk you are after then perhaps you might want to consider a mini jersey or a dexter instead of a zebu. They would typically produce more milk for the same amount of money spent in upkeep. :)

Truscifi

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Somebody else recommended a dexter as well. I was looking at a zebu because I like the idea of a heritage breed and there are several breeders relatively close by. I read that mini jerseys are bred for that size from standard jerseys. Are dexters the same?

Truscifi

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I googled and they look like a good breed, but I'm still concerned about space. I have 1/4 acre I could use for forage in addition to the fenced 1/2 acre that is wooded, but I know she would need a lot of hay/feed. I am just trying to figure out how much to know if it would be economical.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Cattle are not tree eaters. They may nibble some, but a cow is not going to eat down a wooded area with even small trees.
I have had good luck with my Dexter grazing on limited pasture, but still was a couple acres. She started out about 300#,
grew to about 600# in a fit condition. She moved a lot grazing the fields, stayed rather muscular, wormed regularly. They
just don't need the hay or pasture quantity that a larger, milk producing cow will. Lighter weight was easier on the fields,
didn't leave trails or mud holes with her sharp hooves.

If you put your cow out on the small field for a few hours a day, then lock her back in the barnyard and feed her hay the
rest of the day. She should manage fine. She wil get exercised, but won't take the field down to mud like if she was out
there all the time. Grazing will be a snack, only allowed for a short time. You should keep your pasture in good shape, continuing
good growth for grazing. I would mow that field regularly, when it got up about 8-10 inches. You mow high, not shorter
than 5 inches, to protect the roots and keep leaves growing, which will keep production constant. Cattle just get so much
good from fresh grass and grazing time that you want grass to keep coming all summer.

Just don't expect any cattle to keep up their weight, gain weight or produce milk while only nibbling trees. It will not be enough
food for them. Quantity of feed an individual animal needs will vary among cattle. Some are more economical than others,
while turning grass or hay into meat or milk. Even the Dexters will vary, some folks say they see little difference in feeding
their Dexters and regular cattle. Other folks, myself included, have had quite economical Dexters, they gain on small
amounts of hay, grass only in summer. I fed hay in amounts she cleaned up each feeding. If she wasn't cleaning up
most of it, I fed less the next meal. A little left over is fine for me, she says she has enough to eat. Big pile of hay left
means she doesn't like the hay or has more than she needs. The Dexter didn't go thru 50 bales (60pound small squares)
in 3 months! I never fed big bales, free choice as other folks do. Don't have the equipment to manage big bales.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Truscifi said:
I have a half acre that currently has a pig on. She has done a good job clearing the undergrowth, but there are still a lot of trees back there. When she goes off to freezer camp, could I put a mini zebu back there? I would like to have a family milker, but I only have 1 1/2 acres total, and only the half acre properly fenced for livestock.
Personally I would go with a Zebu over a dexter any day of the week. They are a good hardy breed that still holds very close to their original intended form and function.