Can I raise a mini zebu without pasture?

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a pair of mini zebu on 2 acres. Although I got them for breeding stock, they are still young enough that I wont see the fruits of my labors until sometime in 2013. Being that I am lactose intolerant, I drink my goat milk. I do plan on milking when the time comes, though--I can always cook with it.
I'm not sure where you live, but that is something else you will need to consider--housing, if you're in an extreme weather area. Zebu handle the heat very well because of their origins, but the cold & freezing weather may be another story. You would definitely need something dry & draft-free, possibly with heat (again, dont know where you are).
I give mine free choice grass & hay, plus a bit of grain 95% of the time. Feed is relatively cheap here, so I don't worry so much about that cost. What hay the zebu don't eat, the goats do.
I love mine to death & highly recommend them!

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I suppose if its a realy small cow it could work, but aren't Zebu ment for more hot climates, I don't know what climate your in.

Truscifi

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm in central Florida on the Nature Coast. My neighbor has plenty of pasture, so I might be able to trade some milk for a few hours of pasture time every day - I would just have to build a gate, lol. Would I need a barn for the little bit of winter we have here? It does get down to freezing a few times each winter, but usually not for more than a day or two.

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You might not necessarily NEED a barn, but even with the mild winters we have, I wouldn't feel right about them not having something for them to seek shelter in. I know a breeder that modifies sweatshirts for the babies during the winter.
Do you mind me asking where you're getting yours from if you go with the zebu? You can pm me if you want.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Zebu should do just fine in florida, though it may be more humid than its use to but I doubt its from Africa so I bet its acclumated. As for cattle and shelters. Cattle are pretty hardy animals and a leen will normally be enough. Of course a small shelter would be nice in all conditions.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Excuse me if I am showing my ignorance.
What differentiates Zebu from Brahman?

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
greybeard said:
I don't think there is a whole lot of difference but I'm not an expert. They appear to be in the same family.

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
greybeard said:
Zebu are miniaturized Brahman cattle, but they lack the droopy ears.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are only Zebu if they are miniature?
So, why aren't they just called miniature Brahman?
And I see references all over the place referring to 'miniature Zebu', which implies (to me anyway) that there is also a full size version. Not so?