Can I use a Hay Net with Mini Cattle

omg_sob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi all:
Trying to figure out a solution when it comes to feeding my mini's a round bale. I can feed them in their run in shed, but I was wondering if I can use a Slow-Feed type net that goes over the bale? Anybody have experience with that type of product?

Thanks!

omg/sob

omg_sob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi Latestarter & the rest of you folks! The girls are doing pretty well. Besides Linda, Dorothy & Ellie, we just took delivery of our newest lady , Princess Dana. She's a bit bigger than the others, so she's kinda bossy . She's very pretty tho, she's Mini Longhorn , Hereford & Dexter. They all are really friendly and gentle too. Here's a few new pix!
VZM.IMG_20161119_181645.jpg
VZM.IMG_20161119_180831.jpg

Attachments

• VZM.IMG_20161018_202447.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20161018_202447.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 148

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow... thanks! Not familiar with the mini cows but they're beautiful! Thanks for the new pics!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is the size my dad wanted. We are sticking with smaller animals, besides the mule.

I had the choice of two dexter, and two yaks or to a mule. I chose a mule and two yaks.

Very pretty girls you have there.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello. I have no experience with a slow feed net, never even seen one so am no help in that dept. We either roll out a round bale or use conventional round bale feeders as all our cattle are full size, no mini's. One thing we did for our heifers we had a feeder on legs that had cattle panels in the shape of a V that we fed some real good alfalfa as an extra, and in the feeder we fed their grain - like a flat 4x8 sheet of plywood up on legs with 2x2 edges and the hay feeder V in the center of the plywood so if they pulled the hay out it wound up on the feeder instead of on the ground. The whole thing was built so that we could move it; had 4x4 "runners" so we could pull it with the truck to move it around a bit.
What I am getting at is that the welded cattle panels (not the combination ones just the straight cattle panels) might make a simple enclosure for the round bale that they can reach their noses and all through without getting their heads through it. You could bend one into thirds so that it is 5+ft on each side and then back it up to a fence maybe....
I don't know if that would give them enough access....not flexible enough.
You could just use a couple of gates, 4 or 6 ft size and put them up against the roll and just tie or chain them together. I would think that the mini's could get their heads in between the bars to eat and still not be able to "climb" all over it.
I'm sure there are better options, maybe someone has experience with the net feeder you are referring to.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also got to thinking last night about the hay feeder and realized that we have 2 "sheep" round bale feeders. They look like a cradle for the round bale, are about 2-3 feet off the ground on legs and help to keep the round bale in place and to keep the ewes from climbing all over it and making a mess. The lambs can get in-between the pipes that cradle the bale but it might be just what you need for the mini's. We've had them for several years so don't have any idea of the cost but check with your farm supply store or go online and see if you can find them. Our farm bureau/co-op had them, we ordered them, but I don't know if you can find them at tractor supply ....