Can I use a Hay Net with Mini Cattle

omg_sob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That is the size my dad wanted. We are sticking with smaller animals, besides the mule.

I had the choice of two dexter, and two yaks or to a mule. I chose a mule and two yaks.

Very pretty girls you have there.
Thanks so much !

Reactions: TAH

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Will your mini's eat the round bale fast enough? We have a lot of rain here. I have a lot of 4-6 month old calves and I feed them one round bale every two weeks but I end up throwing out the end because it rots. I use a standard round bale feeder for them and it works well.

That being said I use a classic horse hay net feeder for them in their paddocks and that's what I fed them with when they first started eating hay. I just tie it to the pole in their paddock and I was giving about half a square bale to 4 calves and they would eat it in one day. That worked well. I feed our Jersey the same way. I do it to keep them from peeing and pooping all over their hay, it really helps on the hay waste.

omg_sob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
After re-thinking how to feed the Mini's , I am trying this creep-feeder type set up that we built using heavy duty pallets . It seems to be working pretty well, I have it inside their run in shed and one side of it can slide in as the bale (4x4) is eaten down.

Looking at the floor, their seems to be minimal waste. I'll post an update in a month or so.

Omg/sob
20161127_153554.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That looks like a really ingenious feeder. I like the way you have the one pallet set on the "runners" to slide it in although I'm sure they can reach. Being inside, you don't have to worry about the rain or weather causing waste. REALLY LIKE IT!!!!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
After re-thinking how to feed the Mini's , I am trying this creep-feeder type set up that we built using heavy duty pallets . It seems to be working pretty well, I have it inside their run in shed and one side of it can slide in as the bale (4x4) is eaten down.

Looking at the floor, their seems to be minimal waste. I'll post an update in a month or so.

Omg/sobView attachment 24722

Looks like a good idea so far!

I want mini cattle but they are way to costly here for us atm...so we are waiting for the price to come down. We looked at mini highland cattle last year but there were 2k each at 7-8 weeks old and the older they got the more pricey they got. Found some little dexters for $800 each at 4 weeks old but again thats a lot since we can find colored calves for $150-250 and dairy calves for $75-150 in the same age range or older.

Gorgeous girls you have there!

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looks like you've already got your answer but the cattle panel works well to. You can close it as it gets eaten. Put it next to a fence or I was thinking for my mini's and goats putting 2 tied to a t-post and wrapped around the bale.

omg_sob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I LOVE IT when a home-made plan comes together!!

Attachments

• 20170213_171714.jpg
    20170213_171714.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 109