Can I use Oral BoSe instead of prescription Injectable?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I have that on hand and have used it once, but I know it does not work the same way that BoSe does.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
It's not absorbed as well orally as it is when injected, from what I've read.
I know (both from having blood tests ran and from 10 yrs of doing it) that 2 injections per year at 1cc per 40# is keeping our levels where they need to be.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried the gel...I gave my doe that once a month before kidding,a few days before and just after kidding, but the kids were still weak legged and I had to get the BoSe from the vet too. It was so stressful seeing my babies legs bending the wrong way for the whole night!!! I strongly suggest that if at all possible, get it before hand. I know that vets here in California can't prescribe for patients they haven't seen so that does make some things a little more difficult. The injection works in just a few minutes.... less than 20 minutes until I saw improvement.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm, well I've ordered the oral stuff, probably good to have on hand and I guess it can't hurt to give it to them in the mean time. :)

But I will call the vet and see what she says and if she will sell us some BoSe shots.

Still hoping to get more people's experiences...

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you give it EVERY 30 DAYS I think it works pretty good! The second you skip a dose I think you're already falling behind. I heard someone compare it to you taking daily vitamins. They work if you take them everyday. If you take a daily vitamin weekly or monthly it doesn't really do you very much good. So dosing just once or twice wont really help with the selenium+E gel.