Can loud noises cause a cows milk to go off?

Rustic Green Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We recently got a milking calf, and our neighbour likes to run his loud vehicles early in the morning. He said the last owners complained, about their cows milk curdling because of the noise. Is this a real thing?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Curdling happens after miking, not before. Perhaps other cow had mastitis, which can cause stringy, small lumps inside the udder, comes out in milk. It's bacterial, not noise.

That said most milking animals dislike loud noise at milking....calm and quiet preferred. So milk letdown may be affected as well as cooperation to milk from said cow.

I'd think it would rack my nerves for loud cars....no matter what I was doing.

That's my two cents -- for free. 😁

Rustic Green Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Curdling happens after miking, not before. Perhaps other cow had mastitis, which can cause stringy, small lumps inside the udder, comes out in milk. It's bacterial, not noise.

That said most milking animals dislike loud noise at milking....calm and quiet preferred. So milk letdown may be affected as well as cooperation to milk from said cow.

Ok, that's kind of what my thoughts where. Thank you.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score

X2.

But also... if the noise is REGULAR, and hopefully predictable... then over time both the cow and you will become used to it and hopefully not notice it.

Latest posts