Can Mini Donkeys become more friendly over time?

Bayle

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello!
I am looking to find a nice pair of miniature donkeys to join our group here. I've come across a few ads for nice looking donkeys which state that the donkeys are "not overly friendly". I would like to have donkeys that are very friendly. I'm wondering if a donkey's attitude can change over time, or if it is what it is. If I get donkeys that are "not overly friendly", but I treat them well and spend a lot of time with them, will they become more friendly>?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am sure they eventually can change. All I have ever worked with is unbroken horses, and all of them have been well behaved, so I wouldn't know. If they are in a situation that they don't get people handling them they get like that, but as long as you can spend time with them, I think will be okay. But, ask some more people about it.

Texas Gramma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We've rescued a donkey that was a herd protector. He got no attention and had run with cows his entire life. He was scared of us for a day. Don't push yourself on the donkey and don't reach to pet the face, most are face shy. Ease up with a carrot, and as the donkey begins to trust you, reach for the shoulders and pet your way to it's rump. They love butt scratches. We were in the pasture building a shelter for ours 1 week after getting him, I was sitting in a lawn chair while my husband was welding on the frame, next thing I know, I felt a nudge on my shoulder. He literally had his tail sitting on my shoulder wanting a butt scratch. I honestly think he would have sat in my lap. So slow and easy, but within days your donkey can be in your hip pocket.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Put them in a small pen, feed them, unlimited grass hay and fresh water. Talk to them, get a chair and read a book to let them get used to your presence. No sudden moves or loud noises. They will come around.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never owned a Donkey, our friend owns two however. One was extremely flighty and shy of people, you could not get within 100ft of it. 2yrs later it follows any human everywhere they go and wants scratches and attention from everyone so yes I think donkeys like many animals can be made friendly with interaction, time and usually treats.