Can my banded goat still breed?

Chickengirl123

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! I have a goat who was banded on October 13. He is eight weeks old and the banding fell off about a week ago. He lives with his mom and another doe and the other doe is in heat. He is trying, unsuccessfully due to height difference, to mate with her. I was wondering if there is any way that he could still get her pregnant and if so how long do they need to be separated.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi! I have a goat who was banded on October 13. He is eight weeks old and the banding fell off about a week ago. He lives with his mom and another doe and the other doe is in heat. He is trying, unsuccessfully due to height difference, to mate with her. I was wondering if there is any way that he could still get her pregnant and if so how long do they need to be separated.
"It" fell off... as in the band broke and fell off? Or the testicles died and fell off?

If BOTH testicles fell off, at least a couple weeks back, you should be safe.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
From what you say, he was approx 4 wks old at banding. While I doubt he had live sperm then, UNLESS both testes were not in banding, he should be safe. They will attempt to mount, even does will. But it appears you are ok.

Chickengirl123

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for all your responses! Sorry I wasn’t clear I meant that yes, both testicles fell off. Thank you guys for your input, I’m glad I don’t have to worry about that