Can we feed sheep feed meant for alpaca?

Affacat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a couple sheep roaming with our alpaca. We currently feed the sheep Albers brand generic 'Animal Feed', and we feed the alpaca Payback brand 'alpaca supplement '.

Thing is, unless we close them in and feed them separate, they seem to prefer the alpaca feed. And honestly, the alpaca eat either if they can as well.

After we release the sheep they sprint to the alpaca feed and eat whatever they find. (This is why we need to lock them in because they will actually leave their own food to eat the other food)

It would be a thousand times easier for us if we could just feed them all the same feed. Can we?

These two sheep sheep are basically just yard friends at this point, we have no plans to eat or breed them.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Call manufacturer and ask.

I have goats....but often use a horse feed. Cattle minerals if no urea in it.

Sheep have copper sensitivity.....that's a concern with horse & goats feed for them. Alpaca -- I don't know.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you put sheep in with alpacas?

Raising alpacas with sheep is not recommended. In certain geographical areas, alpacas are often used as protection of sheep, but this does not come without issue. From bulling and mounting to copper sensitivity and overexposure, comingling brings risks. Sheep and alpaca share common illnesses, parasites, and bacteria.May 6, 2021
https://cottoncreekfarms.com › can-...
Can I Raise Alpacas With Other Animals? -

What foods are toxic to alpacas?
Broccoli, kale, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, turnips, rutabaga and other members of the mustard family- will cause respiratory and intestinal (aka gastric) distress. Flowers including Daffodils, Jonquils, Larkspur, Daisies, Foxglove, Irises, Lilies and Poppies should all be avoided.May 8, 2018
https://gillisgardens.com › alpaca-n...
Alpaca Nutrition- Approved Treats and

Affacat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Raise the feeders up and sheep won't reach it. Or put it behind bars, sheep necks are short.
Alpaca also have a narrow safe range for copper. I don't remember if it was the same amount or not to sheep, though.

I have already raised it and the sheep climb the wall for the food. It's ridiculous. But I guess I can mount it even higher.

Bars is a pretty good idea if I can find something that works.

Affacat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Call manufacturer and ask.

I have goats....but often use a horse feed. Cattle minerals if no urea in it.

Sheep have copper sensitivity.....that's a concern with horse & goats feed for them. Alpaca -- I don't know.

It sounds like alpaca have a higher tolerance for copper. I pen the sheep during feeding but as soon as I open it they Sprint to the alpaca feed, and the alpaca are slow eaters that don't always finish (depends on the day). This suggests I should find a feed that works for both. I'm not sure one exists though

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Compare the ingredients of the two feeds - % of copper, protein, fat, etc. If the Alpaca feed is similar in content to the sheep feed, you can probably feed the same feed to both species. If the feeds are similar enough in protein and mineral content, I would choose the one that was cheaper to feed to both.

Latest posts