Can you ACTUALLY make money on raising beef cattle?

rd200

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Okay, so I am a Dairy farmer at heart, grew up on a Farm. When I was young, we had steers, then pigs, then finally my dad got into Dairy farming. Anyways, I showed beef cattle for 4-h a few years and loved them. So now i want to start raising some beef cattle. Im married, have a young family, currently work on a farm. I want to quit my job (secondary income) and go full fledged self-sufficient gardener, farmer, etc. I am still trying to decide on a good Milk cow (ideally dual-purpose) but havent decided on that yet. But i am trying to concentrate on whether or not we can actually make money on beef cattle. Im not talking about LOADS of MOOLA.... just enough to make it worth it and to convince my hubby that it is a good idea. I have some breeds narrowed down (for now) i was thinking Scottish Highlands, Galloways, or Red polls for now. Maybe Devons too. I am planning on grass feeding and hay in the winter. So from late October until May I am going to be feeding hay. I was trying to figure out how much hay cow/calf will be eating, how much the hay will cost, other expenses, etc. Geez..... Im not so sure I WILL make any money!!! I guess it depends on how quickly and if i can get rid of the calves, when i get rid of them, if im selling for breeding stock, raising to market weight, raising to sell as halves and quarters....etc. Im not planning on going BIG. Maybe ill stick with 1 or possibly 2 breeds, but no more than 5 or 6 cows. And no bull, Ill AI them.

these breeds are known for ruggedness, efficiency, being able to thrive on pasture/sometimes poor quality, calving ease and temperment. I dont know how much they will eat in winter but i was figuring a cow is probably going to be around 800-1100lbs (depending on what breed..) would it make sense that each cow would eat about 50lbs of hay per day in winter?? Im not planning on grain supplementation unless needed. but they will have mineral/salt blocks. Im thinking that Im not going to be PROFITING from the cow until Ive had her at least 2 years and she has given me 2 calves. Does that sound about right? there is the initial investment of the cow itself, then breeding fees, (AI) then feeding thru winter, then the calf is born, summer is almost free cuz they are going to be pastured, then sell the calf at weaning?? then feed the cow thru winter again, have calf, hopefully by the time i sell THIS calf, then i willhave made a little money.

As much as i would LOVE to just fly by the seat of my pants and not look at the logistic of it, that wont work. I cant lOSE money on it. I know from year to year things will be good/bad depending on the market, rain fall, hay availability, calf crop, etc. The market is strong now, but that will change too.

Another quick question,before i bore you all to death with my over analization of everything...:D
Is there any preferences on what way to go?? Meaning, Is raising Registered stock to sell for breeding stock more profitable than just raising unregistered stock and selling to the market? or is raising them to market weight and then butchering and selling the meat directly to consumers more profitable?? A little of all????

Thanks in advance for the info....

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
5376_welcome_to_byh_.jpg

I know nothing about cattle, but I hope someone who does may come around and help you!
Welcome to the herd! :frow

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
And I know nothing about making a profit :lol:! (But we eat well!) I would think a lot is going to depend on how much you want to spend in the beginning. It seems as though registered stock would sell for more if you are trying to sell for breeding, but won't do you much good when you sell as beef if the market is down. (It's high now in the NE). And I would think you'd make more if you keep your calf until it's freezer size as opposed to selling at weaning if you have your own pasture and hay.
Good luck!

redtailgal

Reaction score
Profit?

What is that? lol

Yes, we actually did make a little money from sales last year. We spent it on replacement heifers.............:rolleyes:

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Buy registered breeding stock from a very reputable breeder - then just register your heifers which join the herd. You dont register heifers or steers that need culling.
Selling breeding stock becomes more profitable as your reputation builds which can take some time.
Good choice RD200 with Galloways and Highland for a strict grassfed operation - you will need very good pasture and top quality hay and LOTS of it.
Strictly grassfed Galloways finish at 28 months so thats two winters :ep but the rewards are very healthy and tender omega 3 rich beef which is low in omega 6.
Belted tend to be slightly smaller than solid black or dun Galloways, we have a mixture here and have a very thriving business for grassfed beef.
Did I see you only had 10 acres in a previous post ??????? if so then you are very limited numbers wise as the Galloways will mow that pretty quick.
As for profit then that depends on product market - most money is made on cuts not quarters/halves, making your own hay, and good fortune
Good Luck

rd200

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Profit?

What is that? lol

Yes, we actually did make a little money from sales last year. We spent it on replacement heifers.............:rolleyes:
:lol: :lol::lol:

RoydWood- yes, in another post I mentioned that I would only have 10 acres. That is kinda subjective tho... Okay, heres the deal. My DH wants to build a house (I want a barn and chicken coop) on his father's land. We woudl need to buy 40 acres to build a house there(per township rules) this 40 acres of land is what my DH's father is leaving him as his inheritance (another long, complicated thing..) so, its about 8 acres woods, a few acres pastury/grassy, then the rest tillable. Its in hay right now. anyways, so the plan is for us to buy the 40 acres for cheap, lease it back to his dad, who will then keep leasing it to the farmer who runs it now. Then we are working out some kinda land contract with his dad for now. (Im not 100% sure on the details yet...) anyways, i told my DH that I wanted to keep at least 10 acres as "MINE" for my milk cow and some beefers. Well, then he got kinda snippy and said this is only going to work if we can lease almost all the land back to his dad....??? not sure why.... anyways, so i told him if i cant even use my own 40 acres, then thats just pointless to have it?!!! So right now im putting my foot down and if i cant get upto 15 acres to pasture, the deal isnt happening. Plus i wouldnt have any hayland, i would have to buy it from his dad (who has about 15 beefers and runs about 50 acres, so he has more than enough hay to sell me. but still.... if i cant pasture them the whole summer, there is NO way im going to be able to make anything close to "profit" I was thinking only a few for now.... like 2 to start with and then grow from there.
anyways, so we dont even have any plans worked out or anything right now.... I am just trying to get something nailed down so that I can say to my DH..... see, I can make $$ doing this and not have to go work for someone else my whole life!!!!
heck, i live in town right now.... shameful>> :(
Im just so dieing to do this, I can't wait.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Two head??? Don't quit your day job. You'll need at LEAST 50 - 75 head to make anywhere near a decent living. Probably more.

rd200

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
Two head??? Don't quit your day job. You'll need at LEAST 50 - 75 head to make anywhere near a decent living. Probably more.
2 head to start with.... and my DH has a full time job so this would be our secondary income (if any) I dont make squat anyways right now. I work my A** off for $11/hr and by the time i pay for gas and daycare...its about $6/hr.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't make money off of cattle with only ten acres and two head to play around with. That's the bottom line, and something you will never be able to shy away from.

If you want to make money off of cattle buy a quarter section or more (1 quarter section = 160 acres), start implementing some sort of intensive rotational grazing system so that you utilize the land at the best it can, and work on getting a heck of a lot more than "a few" cattle to work with. If you can do rotational grazing very successfully, you'll easily be able to raise 100 head or more (may even risk stocking one AU per acre with MIG (managed intensive grazing)!!) and EASILY make good profit off that. Utilize the area so that you're NOT making/feeding hay, and instead grazing 365 days a year.

You are in an area and most likely will purchase land in an where you won't get nearly as much snow like I do up here, so it shouldn't be hard to find some way to utilize grazing where you are not feeding hay.

If I were you, in order to really convince your DH about making this a profitable venture, get the heck out of the idea of working with 10 acres with cattle. If you want that ten acres you might as well consider raising goats instead! Scrap that, find an area with a much bigger land base, and go from there. You'll thank me later! ;)

(If I came off not as eloquently as I tended, my apologies, but I couldn't help but be blunt here.)

Good luck in your search and plans. Most of all, remember to be flexible and pursue ALL options, not just the ones you see in front of you on the table. :)

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
And could you post your location on your profile where it can be viewed on the forum as you post? I don't want to be one to keep asking you where you're located or have to sift through a bunch of posts to see where you're from. ;) :)