Can you castrate a mini pig?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The reason we have to get ours done so late is because the breeder we are getting him from said he will not be ready to go to a new home until he is 8 weeks old. She also doesn't know how to do hm herself and she has no one that knows how. We don't want to get him done then bring him back because I'm not sure of ahe wpuld give him to somone else since he's is neutered. (Btw I mean no disrespect I'm just stating why we are doing it at 8 weeks) And thank you, I hope everything goes well too!

No worries.

Most pigs can be weaned at 5 weeks old, the 8 week old thought is something left over from other livestock. It doesnt hurt anything really to wait until they are older.

It's whatever the owner is comfortable with but I do hope they are spending a ton of time with him or he will never really be friendly. We got my pet pig at 7 weeks old and the person we got him from didnt spend a lot of time with them, I mean he was around them all daily but no real interaction. My pig tolerates me and only me and even then to the extent of I can pet him sometimes and he will lay by me if he chooses to but otherwise wants nothing to do with me. He does not want brushed, bathed, oiled, harnessed, pick up, etc.

Piggly Wiggly πŸ–

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No worries.

Most pigs can be weaned at 5 weeks old, the 8 week old thought is something left over from other livestock. It doesnt hurt anything really to wait until they are older.

It's whatever the owner is comfortable with but I do hope they are spending a ton of time with him or he will never really be friendly. We got my pet pig at 7 weeks old and the person we got him from didnt spend a lot of time with them, I mean he was around them all daily but no real interaction. My pig tolerates me and only me and even then to the extent of I can pet him sometimes and he will lay by me if he chooses to but otherwise wants nothing to do with me. He does not want brushed, bathed, oiled, harnessed, pick up, etc.
I assume she spends time with them because the pictures she sent of him are clear, and it looks like she is holding him in a relaxed way. Here are the pics she sent (I'll have a better idea on his "friendliness" on Sunday. Because that's when I am going to go see him and the mother) :
Screenshot_2021-07-07-21-28-47~2.png
Screenshot_2021-07-07-21-28-50~2.png

Piggly Wiggly πŸ–

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Update:
I saw him today, and let me tell you he was sooo sweet! The lady got him for us and let me hold him. When she picked him up he squealed a little, it wasn't even a squealing scream. When I held him he kept nudging my neck with his nose, scooting himself up to get closer to me, and he loved being pet. I'll keep you updated I'll be getting him in a week or so. The lady was also very nice, she answered all my questions (including what food I should give him), and when she heard we were goibg to harness train him she offered to try her best to train him. Oh and she asked for a name and said she would start calling him that. Btw I decided on the name Dozer! I'm so excited! 😁