Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please rethink the lumber as trash. Have you priced a 2x4 lately? That one board looks to be a 2x8 or 2x10... You are talking $25... or more for just it alone. I would love to have that potting table with the drop down sides... yes, I see the bottoms of the uprights are rotten from probably being on wet ground.....
Maybe you ought to PM me and it might be worth a trip down... could meet up with @Mini Horses and us "girls" could have a lunch somewhere.... or something.... And that "useless" bench /table that you pulled out would be great for a side/back/top for a chicken pen.... I am very serious......

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please rethink the lumber as trash. Have you priced a 2x4 lately? That one board looks to be a 2x8 or 2x10... You are talking $25... or more for just it alone. I would love to have that potting table with the drop down sides... yes, I see the bottoms of the uprights are rotten from probably being on wet ground.....
Maybe you ought to PM me and it might be worth a trip down... could meet up with @Mini Horses and us "girls" could have a lunch somewhere.... or something.... And that "useless" bench /table that you pulled out would be great for a side/back/top for a chicken pen.... I am very serious......
Sure!! :clap The entire counter was built out of 2x6's and it's going to get the several dozen nails pulled out and re-used. There are a bunch of shorter ones over on the side that made up the work-top that also need de-nailing. I don't know what Hubby had planned for that counter since it was nearly shoulder high and 4' deep, but he built it to outlast the barn it was in!!!! It was such an awkward size, I had to get a step ladder, get up and stand on the counter to reach the plugs along the back. He loved his nail gun and put DOZENS of big'ol framing nails all over that entire thing.

If you're serious about the old potting table, I'll stick it back inside and hold it until Gilmanor if you'd like. It seems like an awfully long way to come JUST for an old table...... I might even have some more 'good junk' by then - we've got 5 more 10x10 spaces to clean out plus a little 'attic' space.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
both ok.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure!! :clap The entire counter was built out of 2x6's and it's going to get the several dozen nails pulled out and re-used. There are a bunch of shorter ones over on the side that made up the work-top that also need de-nailing. I don't know what Hubby had planned for that counter since it was nearly shoulder high and 4' deep, but he built it to outlast the barn it was in!!!! It was such an awkward size, I had to get a step ladder, get up and stand on the counter to reach the plugs along the back. He loved his nail gun and put DOZENS of big'ol framing nails all over that entire thing.

If you're serious about the old potting table, I'll stick it back inside and hold it until Gilmanor if you'd like. It seems like an awfully long way to come JUST for an old table...... I might even have some more 'good junk' by then - we've got 5 more 10x10 spaces to clean out plus a little 'attic' space.
If all that is wrong with the potting table is the bottoms, It would be great for me here for doing some of my repotting stuff... and sure, if you are thinking Gilamor meet up for the poultry swap I could come to your place after or something. I just didn't want you to toss all that lumber... You could advertise it on Craigslist if nothing else and get something out of it rather than "trash" it... @Mini Horses and I were thinking along the same lines...
Sounds like your DH really didn't want the bench to go anywhere.... like the barn fall down around it and it would still be standing....:gig:lol:;).

Not like I don't have alot of "stuff", but alot of it is from my parents estate and some even from my grandmother's, plus stuff of mine that I have outgrown or just need to declutter... and alot of what I go through is going in a yard sale... which I was going to try to have last year and didn't happen with everything else we were doing. I snitch pieces of lumber and such from any junk piles and even at the dumpster I have been known to dig some out...
I admire your decision, and now dedication, to getting organized and straightened out and things made more useful. I would give my eyeteeth to have a building such as the barn for storage and use, here at the house. Oh well, you use what you have....

I want to get the inside of my house "put together" and that means getting the upstairs done so I can put things up into the rooms, and making them usable....not piled in the downstairs space.

You will feel so accomplished with having all that usable space and it will look so nice and neat.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you kept the bedside table with drawers too. Drawers are handy for small livestock stuff. Put some mothballs in the drawers and that will keep out any mice. Nothing more heart stopping than opening a drawer and having a mouse jump out! Except maybe a rat. :gig Or a snake. :th