Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Majority rules... Looks like I'm going to have a few storage totes in the feed room floor until they're feathered-out:lol:

Anybody ever pick up cornishX from tractor supply? How did it work out for you? I've always gotten chicks directly from local folks and have raised a BUNCH of assorted dual purpose, layers, & barnyard mixes and culled the roos at about a year. Barely enough meat to be worth anything other than canned jars of bits & pieces for soups and casseroles - and gallons of broth of course. I'd like a few roasters for the freezer. And my air fryer has a rotisserie setting I'd LOVE to try out.
Anybody happen to know when 'Chick Days' are there?
Trying to talk myself out of trying to get a batch brooded and into the coop before going out of town 4/17 o_O

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to wait till the end of summer when the baby chicks started feathering out. The feed store sold them half price and no need for an incubator. Best part was that here in so California they were just coming on to lay when the sprng chicks had stopped in the winter.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
forgive yourself.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here, the meat chicks generally sell before getting to the "discount" price at TSC. Once I saw a few, maybe 6-8.🤷. Two households on my road get together for butcher days....one has a plucker! 👍. I do better on a butcher day with a partner -- motivation. It's easier to suffer thru with sharing the mess.

But those chicks I've seen from there do well. Hey only 3 months, so only first and last two weeks present most loss problems.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here, the meat chicks generally sell before getting to the "discount" price at TSC. Once I saw a few, maybe 6-8.🤷. Two households get together for butcher days....one has a plucker! 👍. I do better on a butcher day with a partner -- motivation. It's easier to suffer thru with sharing the mess.
YES!!! The lady who taught me how to do it hasn't had any to do in several years so the few roos I've had from the laying chicks, I've done alone. This year I've got someone who wants to learn from me. Since I've never done any strictly meat birds I'm considering just getting 10. If she shows up for the processing day - and if she's actually good help - YEAH! But if not, I can do 5 one Sat and 5 the next and it won't be too bad. The setting up and cleaning up take nearly as long as the actual work. I'm really slow at it. If I was living in Walnut Grove, putting together a chicken dinner would be the ONLY thing I'd accomplish that whole day. :lol:

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
"It's me again Margret"

Asking for more advice.
Is a paint marker my only option for labeling plastic that will be exposed to extreme temps (100+ summer / VA version of COLD in winter)?
My first thought was a label maker... but those are going to peel right off pretty quick.
I want to label all of the tool cases so I know when I open the cabinet which one holds the good drill, etc.
Also want to label some plastic drawer sets and such.