Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah.. brackets is all I'm coming up with so far.
I did a google search and saw where someone used an old ladder, sliding the wood through with different sizes lumber on each step...

I figure if I move it all outside tonight and tomorrow AM, I've got until Sun AM to either get it back inside or covered before more rain hits.

Hey! Maybe I'll discover that I have EXACTLY enough of the right sorts to build a set of steps up to the 'attic' area! Have to wait until I get it out and sorted ....:pop

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Racks are perfect for lumber. Does your barn have overhead open rafters or beams? We used the open overhead criss beams in our barn to store lumber on. In our tool shed we use them to store molding, etc. If youdothaveopen beams, you can buy or make racks. Brackets are easy to find at Lowes, and are cheap. I used several to hold ladders on the walls of the barn and also to hang extension cords and hoses from in the tool shed. To make an overhead rack, you can use pipe and pipe brackets. Attach a bracket to the wall on either side and run a metal pipe across through the brackets. Another easy is to attach a 2 x 4 to the wall about 2' down from the ceiling, with another 2 x 4 on the opposite side. Measure how far apart you want your rack to be and then do the same that many feet down from the first 2. Make sure to leave enough space on either side and the top to be able to angle the lumber or whatever pieces of wood you want up there. Once the uprights are in place put another 2 x 4 across the tops of the uprights and you will have a rack made out of your scrap lumber on which to lace the rest. If you want more support you can add more uprights and cross pieces. If you put plywood up there you can store shorter lengths of lumber too.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Racks are perfect for lumber. Does your barn have overhead open rafters or beams? We used the open overhead criss beams in our barn to store lumber on. In our tool shed we use them to store molding, etc. If youdothaveopen beams, you can buy or make racks. Brackets are easy to find at Lowes, and are cheap. I used several to hold ladders on the walls of the barn and also to hang extension cords and hoses from in the tool shed. To make an overhead rack, you can use pipe and pipe brackets. Attach a bracket to the wall on either side and run a metal pipe across through the brackets. Another easy is to attach a 2 x 4 to the wall about 2' down from the ceiling, with another 2 x 4 on the opposite side. Measure how far apart you want your rack to be and then do the same that many feet down from the first 2. Make sure to leave enough space on either side and the top to be able to angle the lumber or whatever pieces of wood you want up there. Once the uprights are in place put another 2 x 4 across the tops of the uprights and you will have a rack made out of your scrap lumber on which to lace the rest. If you want more support you can add more uprights and cross pieces. If you put plywood up there you can store shorter lengths of lumber too.
Having a hard time picturing what you're talking about. Probably just tired. I've been hauling lumber out to the driveway all afternoon. There's not really all that MUCH... but when you can only love it 1 or 2 pieces at a time it takes FOREVER.

..... at least I'm getting my steps in

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's almost Taa-Daa!!!!!

Friday night:
Moved all the lumber out into the driveway
Moved the give away (need WORK) generators outside.
Saturday:
Finished moving the really big heavy lumber & rotted pallets out of the 'lumber storage' area
Tore down the walls of the stall being used to store (hide) garden & fence stuff
Raked & sort of leveled the floor
Put down rubber mats along the wall of the feed room
Put hooks in the wall & attached chain
Carried all the decent lumber back in, sorted by type & length, stood it up on the matting & secured by lengths of chain to 4 hooks
Turned the useless Rubbermaid tool holder on its side & sorted all the little bits of lumber one into it
Hammered a bunch of GIGANTIC nails (why I had a coffee can full of 8" long nails!?!?) Into the back wall & hung up all the handle tools
Sorted all the misc gardening stuff & set up a potting bench with an old aluminum folding table we found in the mess
Cleaned up the last of the 'other side' - tossing bales of empty feed bags (?), found another dozen bricks (I have enough to build a house for the 3rd little pig!), moved a couple more of the non-working machines to the scrap metal pile, and consolidated all the fence repair materials (wire, various kinds of insulators, gate handles, posts, etc into one corner.
My "homework" is to go through all the fencing stuff & use more litter jugs to actually sort all the bits & pieces so that when I need to go do a repair I can 'shop' in my fence store & load up 2 of these, 4 of those, 1 of these, a handful of those.....

The Old wood storage & corner of the gardening & fence stuff stall
20230127_183847.jpg

Stall gone - lumber to the left, tools in the back, gardening table - AND that contraption hanging from the rafters on the right is to hold 2 box fans pointing down at an angle.... one of them right at the table :D =D!!! Couldn't have planned that if I'd have tried!
20230128_145401.jpg

20230129_182621.jpg

20230129_182652.jpg

The 'other side'. From this angle it still looks a bit jumbled - and I don't think I got a Before ; but there was NO visible floor, I literally had to either climb over or move things to make a path.
Far left is the corner of the last 10x12 storage stall that will be actual STORAGE for a couple of pieces of furniture, empty totes, plywood (its the driest space), etc.
20230129_182739.jpg

I can't express how happy I am with this project!!! And the fact that it's gone from a space I was ashamed for anyone to see to become somewhere I would be proud for anyone to see - even a place that can be considered a treasure of the farm and in only 2 long Saturdays & half a Sunday!!!! :love
It's not finished... and my challenge will be to KEEP it like this... but I'm looking forward to sharing 'Finished' photos soon. :D =D

Last edited:

Latest posts