Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
How many wires do you have and how far apart are they? They might be too far apart and they are going to reach out to touch the top wire first... My 2 are about 12-14 inches apart at the one place and only the top wire is hot.... bottom wire is poly for visual... they reach out to check the wire out and will reach for the top one.

We first make sure the TOP wire is hot... too easy to ground out the bottom one... they will reach their head out... between knees and chest height of the average animal in there... I think you need to figure that Eva is about the same height (close to it) as the cow...18 inches up to bottom, no more than another 12 +/- inches to next wire which is the top one for us. Only have 3 at one place and the owner keeps it mowed and weed eated and all 3 are HOT....
Get the top wire hot. That may be your biggest problem. DO NOT attach top to bottom wire... Get one of them to work properly first.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, 10-12 joule will be more than plenty... They allow for some weeds etc on the wire to lessen the output.

That copper grounding is like the "Nth" degree in grounding... most don't do copper because of the expense.

Sounds like the moist/damp ground is perfect for grounding.

Sometimes a cracked insulator will affect it, grounding out to the metal post. If you are going to buy any new ones (and I wouldn't if you have a bunch there at this point)... get the ones that off set 2-4 inches just to get the wire away from the post a little.

Run a wire .... top wire.... at about 2 1/2 -3 ft high... straight wire... and see if it is hot... no poly braid... if the top wire carries a good charge.. then you can run a 2nd wire below it (leave a 2nd insulator on the post for that ) and use the poly for visual... I think little miss EVA , PITA smarty pants, is going over it and is not getting a shock at all... Need to be between brisket and mid chest for them to reach out to touch it... and learn it bites.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
2 Wires in some places, 3 in others

Thanks, I couldn't decide which to work on first. I have seen Blossom reach out & almost touch the top wire (checking it?). But I also thought that if they are reaching under to get that "greener grass" the bottom would be best.
I'll focus on the top first. 👍🏻
The line height varies, but ranges around 16" high bottom and 30" high top. You're the first person who's mentioned how high ON THE COW the wire should be! That really helps!
It makes perfect sense now that you've said it.... I'll be moving that top line in several spots on Sat to meet my short cow's needs. Remember... those fences were originally put up to keep a Shetland & a Thoroughbred in.
How many wires do you have and how far apart are they? They might be too far apart and they are going to reach out to touch the top wire first... My 2 are about 12-14 inches apart at the one place and only the top wire is hot.... bottom wire is poly for visual... they reach out to check the wire out and will reach for the top one.

We first make sure the TOP wire is hot... too easy to ground out the bottom one... they will reach their head out... between knees and chest height of the average animal in there... I think you need to figure that Eva is about the same height (close to it) as the cow...18 inches up to bottom, no more than another 12 +/- inches to next wire which is the top one for us. Only have 3 at one place and the owner keeps it mowed and weed eated and all 3 are HOT....
Get the top wire hot. That may be your biggest problem. DO NOT attach top to bottom wire... Get one of them to work properly first.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
20230608_193744.jpg

.75 joule & 5000 MAX volts (according to their website)
😩

According to some articles I read today:
5000v minimum reccomended for cattle. Especially naughty ones who have discovered yummy flower bed salads.
And with my worn out polyjunk & occasional weeds/briars/vines sucking down all the zap-zap juice, its a WONDER .75 joules is getting around the lines at all

Looks like my brand spankin' new Tractor Supply card might be getting a workout soon.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
That charger pictured would be fine for a single top line on a wire fenced pasture tho. 🤷😁
Yep!! So when I re-do the paddock in field fence, I can put a line of hot wire around the top (for miss leapy-britches' entertainment) & have that small-ish, secure, calf friendly, silly in-heat cow containment area that I always reccomend folks just starting out have. 👍🏻😁

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, go with that one.... It will power all your fences at the same time as long as they aren't covered with overgrowth. Get anything else you need because with TSC, anything over $199. on the card is EITHER 5% off , which is $10 on the charger... OR.... pay full $ AND opt for 6 months NO INTEREST financing...(on $199 or more up to the $399 and then it is 12 mos. interest free) .... if you have to carry the amount for more than 2 months, at avg 25% interest ( I think my card is 25.99% and most all are unless you have a credit rating of like 900 !!!!!) then you would pay interest if you have to carry a balance and pay off over a few months... and the $10 saved is not saved.
I put the rolls of wire on my card... 12 months interest free (over $399)... the $40 approx I would have saved on 2 rolls, (so $80 for the 4 rolls approx) ..... in the 5% would be eaten up in a couple months interest if I didn't pay it off the following month. I sat and did it on paper... and 12 months interest free on the total was way better than the savings... especially since I got them at the sale price (still WAY TOO MUCH cost).... This way I can spread the payments out, and let the money from my parents estate settlement, earn a little interest on top..... Way ahead that way. And it is total $199.... for the purchase... NOT $199 for a single item. But this charger would qualify anyway....

It is a wonder they felt anything from that charger you have.....if the lines had shorts in the poly braid...

American Farm Works is a decent brand... we have not had any problems with them in the past. Not top of the line but certainly not "bargain basement".... and their low impedance charger is qualified for electrified netting... some chargers are not even when they say low impedance... cannot use Fi-Shock low imp on netting...