Canna Lillies. Toxic???

BrittanyLeigh

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My goats have discovered my caNNa lillies (not caLLa lillies, just to be clear) and they are enjoying the daylights out of them .. I googles whether or not they were toxic and most forums got off track and talked about caLLa lillies being toxic .. from what I read I don't think I need to worry, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask!!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm unsure about cannas, but have read on several lists of toxic plants the inclusion of lillies. This becomes problematic when a general reference to such a broad catagory is mentioned and causes the undo fret and worry over it. My goats will eat day lillies from the leaves to the flowers and show no signs of toxicity. Goats are fairly smart animals and unless they are absolutely starving will not eat plants that are harmful to them. Another example of this is the mention of oaks, but there again my goats devour acorns and leaves of oaks. Those that produce the larger acorns they do not eat, but will readily search the ground for live oak acorns. I would just watch them just to make sure, but it is more than likely the easter lilly types that are the ones to avoid....:)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
my goats broke into my yard this summer and ate my canna's about down to nubbins without any signs of distress. there are some things I just don't plant in my yard because I know they are really toxic to goats because every third blue moon they breach security and wreck the joint. don't plant azaleas or any thing in their family. most lilies, nicotina, moon flowers, not the vine kind but the plants, or caster beans. that's about all I can think of off hand.