Car Chasing

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Obedience training is your best option. Extreme high drive dogs can and do learn self control through obedience.
When you look at any Schutzhund dog these are all high drive dogs yet learn extreme control... all starts with obedience. The commitment you make in training them for obedience is the key.
It is beyond sit, stay, come.

Our lgd's are also trained to bikes etc so they do not chase tires.
German Shepherd Dogs are one of the most trainable breeds in the world.
However many fail them simply from the lack of time needed to train them properly.
15-30 minutes a day will do wonders.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
& the person that figures out how to train a dog to stop, look both directions before crossing a road will make a million $. Since age 12, I've lost 3 to roadway incidents and none of them ever wanted to chase cars.......the dogs just walked or trotted right out in front of them while trying to cross a road.
I know they can learn. I have one now that witnessed a dog being run over, (her buddy and playmate) and before that, she would go anywhere, on road, cross a road, and beside one.
Now, you cannot make her get on pavement or on a gravel road. She used to follow us on our bicycles, trotting along the pavement beside us. Now, she stays on the grass and if a car is coming, she moves way off nearly into the woods till the car passes.
(mixed breed, slick short hair, short legs..a stray that came up to the house. Part Rottweiler from how her nose looks, but dunno or care what else. Calm as can be around everyone and everything except raccoons, possum, bobcats and other varmints tho she generally won't chase a deer.
wife feeds her waay too much tho..needs to lose about 10 lbs, and I have to admit, I'm bad about sharing my cheese crackers with her, especially if we're out on the other end of the property and she's decided to lay down and watch me toil away the day. )

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
& the person that figures out how to train a dog to stop, look both directions before crossing a road will make a million $

Trained service dogs for the deaf and blind and physically disabled already do this. These are the REAL service dogs, not the "ESTD" that are usually as much of a basket case as their owners. :rolleyes:
(ESTD- Emotional Support/Therapy Dog... it can be ESTA alsp- any silly animal can "qualify"... rats, ferrets, whatever is deemed the support animal. No training just a bunch of people that want their animal with them at all times so they get someone to sign off on them. :he

But, the poster can train the dog to not chase cars.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Putting a shock collar on a 4 month old pup is never a good idea. This is early formative learning time so human training is most effective.
People really don't realize how much damage a shock collar can do with a puppy. Nothing replaces real training.
@animalmom have you looked for a trainer in your area that can either train the dog for you or work with you to train?

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The funny thing is the deer around us in the last few years have started to look both ways when crossing the road. I have never hit a dog on the road but I have had a dog hit me on the road. Dumb thing ran right into the side door of my truck it jumped from the field over the ditch and right into it. I just so happen to be a german Shepherd.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with Southern- only resort to a shock collar as a last resort. German Shepherds are an obedience breed and thrive on training and structure.

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a GSD puppy around the same age. We have a shock collar that has a vibrate option and that’s ALL we have ever had to use for her. It honestly takes a very short amount of time and an even smaller amount of praise for German shepherds to learn commands. When it comes to a prey situation it definitely is a bit harder (we have a huge issue with ours and her going after our chickens) but persistence and a quick vibrate and even an ungodly sound(can of rocks etc) will typically redirect. Not forever but eventually it will work forever. Persistence, praise and redirection should hopefully work! Good luck!

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a GSD puppy around the same age. We have a shock collar that has a vibrate option and that’s ALL we have ever had to use for her. It honestly takes a very short amount of time and an even smaller amount of praise for German shepherds to learn commands. When it comes to a prey situation it definitely is a bit harder (we have a huge issue with ours and her going after our chickens) but persistence and a quick vibrate and even an ungodly sound(can of rocks etc) will typically redirect. Not forever but eventually it will work forever. Persistence, praise and redirection should hopefully work! Good luck!

I didn’t know that there was a vibration setting. Very interesting. I’ll definitely have to research this!

Reactions: TAH

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Long line for training. Put him on it and hold the other end. When he sets off to chase: IMPRESSIVE dressing down and immediate time out inside (bathroom, spare room) door closed no interaction. Try and see how long you have to keep him in time out to make an impression. Then welcome him back to the pack and take him out again. Repeat. If he doesn’t have it the third time, quit for the day and keep him inside or on short leash with you. Repeat the next day. He needs to know this is serious and will be no more tolerated than chasing stock for example. A zap collar won’t do anything if he is really enthusiastic. You have to actually KEEP Him from doing it - the more he chases the more he learns to chase. Good Luck!