Carla D-Great new adventures and an Amazing Life

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Over the last year my life has taken an interesting turn and into a wonderful adventure. My husband and his dad decided they wanted a few pigs the farm part of my sister-in-laws small 5 acre farm. I for the life of me couldn’t figure out what his desire to own pigs was all about. But, I told him to go for it and kinda fell in love with the first set of small feeder pigs they bought June of 2017. They were so small that our nearly 3 year old daughter made them look small. It was a very fun summer. It was the start of this new adventure.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
2A2D668C-648D-4E4C-8568-17A8DEC68CC5.jpeg
06B8033B-447C-4E24-BD62-6E3E0D923FFF.jpeg
Here’s a little background information about myself. In the pictures above is my little girl feeding Tanner. The second picture is my herd of eight little goats 7 are Alpine and the solid white one is Saanen. He happens to be claimed by my little girl. He’s a lucky little goat.

My goats names are: Rusty Nails, Butch Cassidy, Tanner, Jack Frost, Ringo Star, Elvis, and Junior.

I’m actually a disabled nurse due to chronic pain which I’ve had since my mid 20’s and chronic major depression which I’ve been treating since I was 14-16 years old. I struggle really hard most days toget out of bed because the pain level is so great. My doctors won’t treat chronic pain anymore because they can’t cure it and they don’t want to get their chronic pain patients addicted to strong pain medication. Their answer to me is stay active and keep busy/distracted. This year, about August the pain got a whole lot worse for me. So I’ve been spending a lot of time at the farm. I usually make 3-4 trips there everyday to “control” my pain or seek some relief. Late September is when I bought my baby goats. And when I first got them I had goats out there that I was feeding every few hours during the day and as many as three at home that needed more attention because they were struggling. Between them and my 4yr old daughter I was literally running nonstop from 7:30am-Midnight for the first 10-12 days. But, surprisingly, I was a whole lot more exhausted than I was in pain. I attribute that to my baby goats. I wish I could new babies all year around just for that relief. I’ve been spending more time with the pigs as well because they are/were ready to burst with babies. My husband and I have built two completely new farrowing stalls with have sows and new babies in. I also get the privilege of being their “midwife” since my FIL is a bit old school and my husband works full time. I really enjoy that as well. It really does keep me busy. The worst part though is my memory and ability to concentrate had significantly diminished since I was in my mid thirties. But, I’m learning that I’m truly loving the farm life. I grew up in the country. But unlike my husband I didn’t grow up farming. So I have a lot to learn to keep up with him and the farm. I’m a bit of a late bloomer. I didn’t get married until I was 38 for the first time, then I waited until I was 42 to have a baby. It kinda makes me chuckle sometimes. I actually married a man who had his high school locker three lockers away from mine the entire time we were in high school. He’s also the same age as me, 46. But he’s been married before and has two children of his own in their twenties. His oldest child has made us grandparents to three beautiful grand babies. One of which is two weeks old which we have yet to meet because we honestly couldn’t get away from the farm for more than an hour at a time then our house got and their house got sick. So we have a two week old grandson named Jayden that we have yet to meet. They only live 20-25 minutes away from us. We feel so horrible. But, I’m learning farm life is busy life. I kinda like that. I’m used to really long hours. For a few years before I became disabled 100+ hours a week as a nurse. Yup, more than 400 hours a month. So things have slowed down tremendously. So, that may be why I’m in complete awe over some of these older people I’ve been chatting with in BYH. Just the fact that their lives are so much more labor intensive and busier than mine is, kinda makes me jealous that I’m nowhere to their level of activity, business, and knowledge as they are and in 15-30 years younger than some of them. One or two ladies in here that I’ve made acquaintance with are in their early 70’s. They are mind blowing to me as to their very busy and active lifestyles. They inspire me to not stop and to try really hard to do what I’m discovering I really love

Last edited:

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This was an exurb from a comment I made as a response to a comment I received. I was told it could make a nice introduction to my journal.

I have mostly Alpine. They are the funniest guys I’ve seen in a long time. And my daughter has claimed the one Saanen I have as her baby. Jack Frost is one very lucky little goat. She is very doting to him. I also had a single Nubian. He was super sweet and wanted to be held and carried around much like many cats I’ve had. He passed away roughly ten days ago at the vets office. I find it cute how the little guys can ram heads one minute and melt in my arms the next. I have always been a cat person, since the day I was born. But my goats are giving my “crazy cat lady” image a real run for their money. I know I will love them when they are grown up. I can’t not love on any animal, except small dogs. I don’t like them at all. I’m not sure what my plans are with the goats. While I know they a dairy goat I had one or two of them sold to be eaten. I had thought about raising some and breeding them to sell. But I have no interest in being a registered goat breeder. My understanding is that registered goat breeder can make a good chunk of change on their registered goats. These guys may end up simply being pets and lawn mowers, ditch sweepers. I’ve always wanted to rescue unwanted, old, abused, neglected animals especially farm animals and giving them a really nice life and place to live the rest of their days out. So I think loving and caring for a mess of wethers is a fabulous alternative. I would love to breed a few Nubians because I fell in love instantly with Fonzy, the one Nubian out of the bunch. But I’m seriously considering buying whatever little bucklings I can get from the place I bought these from. While they are commercial farmers, she told me I’d only needed to feed them twice a day and that they should be weaned at 8 weeks, I think the instructions she gave me were subpar and neglectful. So I’m thinking I rescued these little billies. Since they will be wethered, way too many people consider them to be worthless money burners/wasters, I’ll be saving these as well by giving them a great life with a lot of love and attention. If I wish to have more babies down the road I’ll “rescue” them from the same breeder. She sold them at $5 a head. That kinda tells me how little she thinks of young bucklings that may possibly not be up to her breeding standards. She only sells the brand new buckling at $5/head. She sells brand new doelings for $250/head. Maybe that is what most breeders sell their babies for. But, in my eyes any living breathing animal is priceless and valuable.

I do agree with you about the diet and living healthy can definitely slow down or reverse the symptoms of many illnesses. That’s just not something I’m very good at practicing. So many of my aches, pains, and other symptoms are a result of my own doing. Old habits are really hard to break. But there are also a few habits I’ve never picked up or even tried. I don’t drink alcohol of any kind anymore. I’ve had about a ¼ of a wine cooler in the last six years. Prior to that I wasn’t a big drinker anyways. I don’t like the feeling I get after a few sips of alcohol. I’ve never done or tried any illegal drug/substances, not even marijuana, not one sip of coffee. I used to drive differently as well. I used to be a big time speeder, do country stops, and simply not practice or respect safety practices. My driving has completely changed. While I have some chronic illness I have every intention and want to live to be 97 years of age.i also believe in basic respect, helping your neighbors, and if you’re going to do something do it right/vey best the first time around. I’m not sure why I’m rambling like this. I’m sorry. While my lifestyle is not the healthiest it can be, I do have a lot of old time thinking, courtesy, kindness, I believe in helping others as best as you can and giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, a second chance, and respect from the moment of first contact, until they prove otherwise a couple of times, and lead by example. Again sorry for the rambling.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't keep a journal, my blabberfingers just take on a life of their own and wander all over the place. This is your journal, do what the heck you want. Anybody that don't like it, can go read something else. LOL LOL

Chronic pain is a terrible thing and leads people to become addicted to opiate drugs. Then they stop being effective and it takes more, it is a one way road to hell and back. Either you, your doctors or both are wise not to take you down the road to financial ruin and perdition. If hugging a goat makes you happy, put one in the backyard! LOL

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Now Bay, you KNOW that one is never enough! That's just a tease! If she's going to have one in the backyard, it has to be one each of at least 3 breeds! They are always best started as a trio (or more). ;) Nice start to your journal! It is yours, and you can do with it as you please. We're all along for the ride! :)

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't keep a journal, my blabberfingers just take on a life of their own and wander all over the place. This is your journal, do what the heck you want. Anybody that don't like it, can go read something else. LOL LOL

Chronic pain is a terrible thing and leads people to become addicted to opiate drugs. Then they stop being effective and it takes more, it is a one way road to hell and back. Either you, your doctors or both are wise not to take you down the road to financial ruin and perdition. If hugging a goat makes you happy, put one in the backyard! LOL
Well, I kinda had three in our unit for a few days. Then they started to get noisy. My hubby told me I either need to keep them quiet or they go back to the farm. Three little goats that need a little extra TLC wasn’t worth our being homeless. I fed them, held them, then I had to take them back to the farm. They would love it outside at our complex. There’s a mess of two legged kids and some fun playground equipment. I suppose I could always tell the landlord that they are the neighbors.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Now Bay, you KNOW that one is never enough! That's just a tease! If she's going to have one in the backyard, it has to be one each of at least 3 breeds! They are always best started as a trio (or more). ;) Nice start to your journal! It is yours, and you can do with it as you please. We're all along for the ride! :)
I like this crowd more and more each day. I’ll bring them home and tell my husband that you and Bay told me to do it. Lmao

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Actually, in some places a goat can be considered a pet in the same category as a dog or cat. In addition, they can ALSO be used as a therapy animal and they sure seem to be therapeutic to you! You should get a doctor's note to that effect and then alternate a few at a time through your "complex" to "socialize" them to little kids and playground equipment ;) Though management might raise an eye, I'm sure the kids (both species) would be thrilled!