Carla D-Great new adventures and an Amazing Life

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I lived in Michigan for several years and didn't mind the cold then but then I spent some time on Antarctica and I learned what cold really was. I will still gripe about it though. :)
I don’t think very many people can say they’ve been to Antarctica much less say they’ve spent time there. That’s quite interesting that you’ve been there.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Carla - the agency I worked for in Charleston for the last 20 years before I retired managed the Air Traffic Control functions in Antarctica for the National Science Foundation at McMurdo (the U.S base). All the controllers and techs used to spend all summer (they called it The Season) there. Most of the ATC portion of that job is now done via satellite and is done from Charleston, SC.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Carla - the agency I worked for in Charleston for the last 20 years before I retired managed the Air Traffic Control functions in Antarctica for the National Science Foundation at McMurdo (the U.S base). All the controllers and techs used to spend all summer (they called it The Season) there. Most of the ATC portion of that job is now done via satellite and is done from Charleston, SC.
Cool.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, my sheep....no goats at present come when I clap my hands. I don't know how they (and I) have learnt this, but for me....'clap, clap,clap', and "Girlies" 'C'mon Girlies" and they are all down. It may sound silly, may look stupid, but it works every time.

Mike CHS you have experienced REAL cold.....how many fingers and toes do you still have? Over here we whinge and whine about anything which is out of the 50-75 degree range....it's a bit of a national preoccupation. However, our cold usually is accompanied by a bone-chilling damp....makes it seem so much harder to bear.

Carla, back to your mum and kids....are they still doing well? They usually strengthen up so quickly after a couple of days.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, my sheep....no goats at present come when I clap my hands. I don't know how they (and I) have learnt this, but for me....'clap, clap,clap', and "Girlies" 'C'mon Girlies" and they are all down. It may sound silly, may look stupid, but it works every time.

Mike CHS you have experienced REAL cold.....how many fingers and toes do you still have? Over here we whinge and whine about anything which is out of the 50-75 degree range....it's a bit of a national preoccupation. However, our cold usually is accompanied by a bone-chilling damp....makes it seem so much harder to bear.

Carla, back to your mum and kids....are they still doing well? They usually strengthen up so quickly after a couple of days.

They all appear to be doing really well. They are playing, climbing, fighting for attention and sparring like nothing ever happened to them. And as long as I wait for them to finish their bottles befor I give them an injection they are all pretty eager to finish their bottles. I’m going to give them a baby aspirin twice a day for a few more days. Just to be sure they stay relatively comfortable enough to eat and drink like they should be doing.

We frequently have blustery cold days through the winter, but unless the temp hovers between 30-40 degrees we don’t usually have much for cold and damp days. The most likelihood of being cold and wet is if we are out and playing in large heavy snow and get out winter wear/clothing wet. Then it’s bone chilling for sure.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello @B&B Happy goats,
The little guys are doing amazingly well. They are quite frisky lately. They are prancing around, head butting, pushing me behind my knee for attention, and stealing my gloves out of my winter jacket. That how good they are doing. I struggled so hard yesterday to give them their last antibiotic. They wouldn’t hold still, I couldn’t distract them and neither my husband or my daughter would help me give the. I poked Tanner 5-6 times and still wasn’t able to give him injection. Needless to say I was so really POd that I left the barn in tears. I did however talk my husband into helping me give them their antibiotic and Dectomax. I also had to clean up two goat horn sites. That was a wasted effort. The dressings didn’t stay on for either of them any longer that three minutes.

This evening I got a phone call from the vets office of the guy who performed their surgeries. I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was. I told him they were doing really well, like nothing ever happened. I did remember to ask about the procedure he used. It was a scoop and burn technique. I want to do a little research on that procedure. I’d like to know what that entailed, and about recovery, etc. I didn’t tell him that I was working with another vet. I don’t want to set that bridge a blazin since he’s the one who will be doing any pig vetting we may need done. I suppose there could be a time when my new vet won’t be able to come out or know what to do. It would be nice to be able to call him if that situation ever comes up. He is a really good vet. But, for some reason he wasn’t very responsive to my dosage questions.

Latest posts