Carla D-Great new adventures and an Amazing Life

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It was a fun night with kids, my kid, and myself tonight. My daughter came with this time. She hasn’t been for this last week. It’s either been too cold to have her out there even bundled up, or she’s been wanting to go home before I get the second goat fed. For some reason she doesn’t want to feed any of them including her Jack Frost. That’s been going on since they were brought home after their surgery. Tonight was a different kind of night. A fun one.

For the life of me I couldn’t pick just one goat to be my absolute favorite. This is why:
Jack- he’s so darn soft, patient with his girl, Abigail, he’s a bit on the mellow side as well.
Tanner- he’s a lovey little guy. He loves having his cheeks pet, he will also get really close to me when I’m giving him his bottle and lean right into me.
Billy- he’s just a squirrelly little devil. A darn dashing little dickens. He’s my idea of the perfect goat. He’s super feisty.
Rusty- a truly gentle, loving, and snuggly little guy. I found out he’s a thief tonight. For the last several days I keep finding my gloves on the ground in their area. I busted him tonight. He just shoves his nose in my pocket and pulls them out. Then he tried taking Abigails mittens off of her hand. He waits his turn to get his bottle. If I absolutely had to choose my favorite goat, Rusty would be at the top of my list.
Butch- he’s a gentleman. He also waits his turn to be fed. He has been known to butt me behind my knee to get my attention. When he’s drinking his bottle he leans right into me and wants to be held and snuggled.
Elvis- this little goat would also be at the very top of my list as well. He’s constantly trying to get my attention. He gently uses his paw and puts it either on my hand or my leg. Whichever he can get closest to. His big joy in life is getting attention, even more than his bottles. He has the sweetest little doe-eyes. When I’m busy feeding someone else he’s rubbing his little head on my leg.
Junior- he’s a rascal.when he wants attention he’s going to get it. He’s a huge head butter. He used to gently paw at me when I was feeding someone else and not giving him attention. He started that at about two weeks of age. I cannot pick him up to feed him without getting a head to my chest. He is constantly trying to help his brothers drink their bottles. He is a very persistent sort of guy.
Ringo- he’s a whole lot like Junior. He won’t take a breath until he’s finished his bottle completely. He also loves running and chasing my little girl. I think Abigail is his favorite human.

Is it possible to have eight favorites? I sure hope so. Then there is Tiger. He is always in with the goats. He will return head butts, he will snuggle with the goats. I’ve even found him sleeping with them. Tonight he was aging his tail against the ground and one of his little friends would chase it back and forth. Tiger adores these goats. 7D44B873-988F-41CF-BF52-220D5C4669FB.jpeg This is Tiger. The goats are a serious attention getter of his.74DDC45F-3C10-4A6E-95E2-6CA32C3A8BFC.jpeg This is Jack. He’s the only one who has small open areas where his horns used to be. He is so super soft.55F15FBF-1DA2-4B7F-A642-1DBD66895C64.png This is Elvis. He’s trying very hard to get my attention. He’s going to be an amazing goat when he’s a bigger.
84FCB081-DBB9-4F69-A20C-E582F5FAA3AE.png This is my glove thief. Rusty Nails. I can’t express how much I love this guy. 0220A59D-55AF-4EB3-8489-EEBDAE8A0259.png And 43BC5CCB-E1F6-48D7-A8E7-0C3BFD8F3E01.png shows how crazy my little guys are for their grass hay. They were attacking it like they’ve not any for years. They don’t usually go this crazy. I couldn’t of started my goat experience with a greater group of little guys. I do love them so much. I did have a couple of short videos that I wanted to share. But I can’t for the life of me figure out how to attach videos.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
those are some nice pictures that shows they are excited. :)
They sure are excited. I’m so relieved that they are doing so much better. Now my biggest concern is putting some weight on them. After giving so many injections I now know how little they have for reserves. Their muscles are very hard to find for IM injections and there is very little skin that is loose enough for the SQ injections. Two of them were almost impossible to grab enough to tent.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That sounds like dehydration...do they drink water?
I was thinking dehydration too. They get fresh water twice a day. I’ve tried different temps, with/without apple cider vinegar. I don’t think they are drinking any of their water. I don’t know what else to try. I even though about putting a little sugar or karo syrup in thei water. But, I don’t think that’s a very good option. Do you have any ideas on how I can get them to drink water?

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I thought dehydration ment you could pull a lot of skin up. I know when my cat was having problems with his liver and was dehydrated, I could pull up a ton of skin to give subq fluids. I hope thats not the case with your goats. :fl
Me too.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can give them water from a bottle too if you think they are dehydrated.
But not to give them an entire bottle, right? I don’t want to through them into hypervolemic shock.

Do you think there may be a little something I can flavor their water with? Crushed mint leaves, molasses, there has to be something I can use. I have already tried apple cider vinegar.

One more question. What would you use to help them gain some weight, increase their muscle mass, and all around wellbeing? I know this isn’t an overnight process. I just don’t feel that I’ve added or changed anything in their diet to help them.

Last edited:

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Mine have three clean buckets of water, one is warm water with a little B 12. ...one has regular water and the third has a ounce of red cell mixed with the water in a five gallon bucket..... but that's just for mine as they all choose which to drink out of, and being a clean freak, the buckets get cleaned e/o day....but this is just what i do, not a recommendation for you, .... i watch to see who drinks what... due to their own needs :frow
The putting out three different waters is a pretty genius idea.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you are worrying needlessly.
They look good, growing like normal kids.
When on the bottle often kids don't go to water because they are hydrated.
If you are giving 2 bottles a day you could try a half bottle of water in afternoon.

I wouldn't be adding anything to the water.

As far as shots, hard to tent on any kid IMO. I like the shoulder area for SQ and go down not up. Far easier.

They were just treated for a bunch of stuff and that is great. Let them eat and grow. :)