Carla D-Great new adventures and an Amazing Life

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think you are worrying needlessly.
They look good, growing like normal kids.
When on the bottle often kids don't go to water because they are hydrated.
If you are giving 2 bottles a day you could try a half bottle of water in afternoon.

I wouldn't be adding anything to the water.

As far as shots, hard to tent on any kid IMO. I like the shoulder area for SQ and go down not up. Far easier.

They were just treated for a bunch of stuff and that is great. Let them eat and grow. :)
I sure hope you’re right about me worrying about nothing. I think asking my new vet that question along with another one I’ve been thinking about is a great idea. You are so darned practical.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I went out and bought a new bathroom scale this morning so I could get an accurate weight on the boys.
492D84E7-2BB7-434F-A2A2-2B58918A125A.png

Have yet to find a site that can give me a rough estimate on what 8 week old Alpines and Saanen should weigh. I may be totally off base with my guess. But I’m thinking they should be close to 30 pounds.

I also cleaned all of the bedding I had in their house and entire area. I figured I better do that to keep them from getting reinfected. Our neighbor at the farm harvested his corn yesterday. I did put a mess of corn husks and stalks in there for bedding. They have been going to town eating them. Can anyone tell me if the husks and stalk are ok for them to be eating?

My daughter even helped me feed the goats today. The first time since their surgery that she has wanted to feed them. And my husband even helped me clean all of the hay/straw bedding out of the area. He offered to help.

I did send my vet the goats weights. I’m curious to know if she thinks they are underweight or not.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are very small :(
Our mini's are heavier at that age.

I have mentioned, several times that you want them to gain at least 10-15# a month.

I would have to disagree with your vet. Alpines and Saanans are massive animals. These kids are small.

Last edited:

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They are very small :(
Our mini's are heavier at that age.

I have mentioned, several times that you want them to gain at least 10-15# a month.

I would have to disagree with your vet. Alpines and Saanans are massive animals. These kids are small.

If they were to gain 10# a month they should be roughly 25-27#. Right?
But I can see that if they gained 15# a month they would most definitely be at minimum 10# light.

They are 15-18 pounds too light.

I sure wish I could get a definitive weight range, hopefully a 5# range. Now I’m really worried. That is a whole lot of weight to be under. They eat at least 6 cups of my pellet mix. And at least 1/7-1/5 of a hay bale a day. It takes about a week to go through one farm grown grass hay bale. And then that is supplemented with Timothy and alfalfa/meadow mix. And two 20oz bottles of milkreplacer. That seems like it should be adequate, so it’s not.

Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they were 8# kids, and gained 10# a month, the minimum weight you’d want them to be is 28#. Honestly, they should be gaining more than that, since they are Saanans and Alpines.

Not picking on you, just trying to be honest.

Are they finishing the bottles?