Carla D-Great new adventures and an Amazing Life

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know why she gave him to me if he planned on breeding him in the future. I will never know nor is it really any of my business. She is a very small operation

Personally, I feel it was a way to have them close yet no feed costs & daily care. I'm of the opinion many animals are leaving for same reasons. Sometimes things get tight. Better to disperse them than starve them. (By the way, the swollen bellies can be any manner of issues, one being poor nutrition).

I’m not very bright at times. I jump before I look sometimes, and sometimes I just don’t have a clue. I need to examine myself some and figure out why that is,

I’m so new and nieve about goats I don’t have a clue about what questions I should ask, what to look for, or things to think about.

You are quite bright & compassionate -- you are NEW to animals. Your heart can be too large, sometimes. So we are out here assisting you to think about things you don't even know are problems because we see them & you can't -- and would NOT know, given no background with farm animals. Really we are not being harsh, we are not condemning or judging, we are throwing out our thoughts about what we have experienced and/or known, just rallying to help you learn what you need to know to help -- a crash course, maybe. But you are THERE in the middle of this and we are jumping in to help, not hinder or chastise. You have no flaw, you just need to absorb some of our experience quickly. Hey, it's FREE.....:D:hugs We are offering options. You can do as you want. We'll even be there later, no matter how it goes.

Most of us have been where you are, more than once! We all understand those huge loving eyes on an animal, their attraction and their tendency to bring friends with them (goat math, chicken math...:lol:). You are on the right course now. Get an agreement between you two or return the boys....treat YOURs for worms, in case. Things have a way of working out.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was a deal too good to be true. I’m going to have to stop setting myself up for these kinds of situations. I know I can’t rescue all animals in need. I surely would if I could though. No more buying $5 goats late fall, no more taking in or looking for sob story animals.
Reality knocks. Answer the door and tell yourself no. No matter what, they all have to be fed and cared for and you can bleed $$$$$ money real quick. Love and enjoy the ones you have. You can't save them all, but you can give these a good home. If the bigger goats don't work out, find them another, better than they came from, home. You have a good grip on this.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I feel it was a way to have them close yet no feed costs & daily care. I'm of the opinion many animals are leaving for same reasons. Sometimes things get tight. Better to disperse them than starve them. (By the way, the swollen bellies can be any manner of issues, one being poor nutrition).

You are quite bright & compassionate -- you are NEW to animals. Your heart can be too large, sometimes. So we are out here assisting you to think about things you don't even know are problems because we see them & you can't -- and would NOT know, given no background with farm animals. Really we are not being harsh, we are not condemning or judging, we are throwing out our thoughts about what we have experienced and/or known, just rallying to help you learn what you need to know to help -- a crash course, maybe. But you are THERE in the middle of this and we are jumping in to help, not hinder or chastise. You have no flaw, you just need to absorb some of our experience quickly. Hey, it's FREE.....:D:hugs We are offering options. You can do as you want. We'll even be there later, no matter how it goes.

Most of us have been where you are, more than once! We all understand those huge loving eyes on an animal, their attraction and their tendency to bring friends with them (goat math, chicken math...:lol:). You are on the right course now. Get an agreement between you two or return the boys....treat YOURs for worms, in case. Things have a way of working out.
Thank you for the kind words.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here’s a follow up concerning the two Mini Nubians. They are back on their previous farm. The owner, Josselyn is a really nice gal. We chatted with each other 10-15 minutes. She gave me the name of her vet who only lives 2 miles from me. Small world. She said that her vet is very reasonable, does house calls, and experienced. I don’t know why I hadn’t known about her. I had actually tried finding a different vet than the one we’ve been using to this point. He’s quite knowledgeable and experienced. But, we are definitely paying for his knowledge and schooling. If we had a bit more money than we do have I wouldn’t even consider looking for a different vet.

I did find out why she was liquidating her goats and gave me the two free. She has decided that she would rather focus on her cows. I guess she likes them a bit better than her goats. I think most people have a favorite/preference. She actually had a new cow delivered the day I stopped in. We both kinda caught each other off guard. Since our thoughts about the two goats were so different, giving her the chance to have them back WAS the right thing to do. She and I both learned a little something from this experience. Neither one of us has hard feeling towards the other.

I did send two fecal samples to the vet this morning. I got the results an hour or so. Turns out her goats did have worms, but the count wasn’t high enough to warrant the vets concern. Mine on the other hand had a concerningly high count of three different types of worms and they will need three different medications to treat them. That is something I’m going to find the money for and pretty quickly. They said it was probably because they were babies. I did also tell Josselyn the vets findings. Since I’m getting billed for two two fecal tests, she might as well know the results for both of our animals. Plus hers did stay with mine for a brief period of time, she had the right to know as well. I am very sad this arrangement didn’t work out. Those two goats were amazingly sweet, calm and friendly. They even tolerated Abigail wrapping her arms around them and they looked for our attention. I did get to meet a very nice gal who raises goats, just a few less than she had a month ago. Plus she’s giving me the name and number of another vet for me to check out. This has been a bit stressful, rushed, and we were both caught off guard transaction. I am very glad it happened and with a really nice woman and that things worked out as they did. A lot of things were learned by this. The first thing learned was Mini Nubians, there is nothing mini about them. They are still a pretty good sized animal and they can eat and eat and eat. I did ask her if all Nubian/Mini Nubians were this sweet, gentle, and docile as those were, or did I simply have the pleasure of working with three exceptional goats. Her two and my Nubian baby that I lost due to illness. She didn’t have that answer. That’s my update. Thank you to all of you who have given me advice, answers, and told me that taking them back was basically the only option and best thing I should do.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh @Carla D - I'm so sorry. Even if it is "for the best" I can tell how much you love those boys... :hugs
They really were amazing goats. I could tell that a lot of time and love had been given to them. I am sad to see them gone. But, it really WAS the best thing to do for the goats and the two of us. She is an amazing gal. The two goats will be missed.