Carla D-Great new adventures and an Amazing Life

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We will sell and take animals to a butcher for processing but we don't allow it to be done on our place. To us it's more a matter of liability and disposing of the offal that we aren't set up for. Our butcher is USDA certified and there is no question of problems with handling the animals.
Our local meat locker will come out and render them for a fee and dispose of the unwanted/waste. I could have that done. I’m pretty sure I would have my husband there. I don’t think I could be present for their killing and processing.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m going to start with a general disclaimer: I realize that you are fairly new to Livestock and accepting that sometimes ones that start out as pets need to be culled for one reason or another. I also want to acknowledge that these are your “babies.” You’ve spoiled them and insured that they thrived.

-You are correct in that processing wethers is often much more humane than some type of pet setting. Being culled as promptly as possible upon the new owner taking possession also further insures neglect has less opportunity to occur. It is the same with steers and barrows.
-Our process is to sell animals on the hoof by the whole or half. We sell cattle, pigs, and the occasional goat. We are paid based on weight upon arrival at the butchering facility and we do the transport to the facility. Our buyers do their own cutting order and pay for the processing to the butcher. We get paid market process for weight on the hoof. The buyers are then responsible for picking up the packaged meat from the processor.
-In my experience, I couldn’t be there for any of the killing. If the animal is suffering or my family is starving, I’ll step up and I have in the case of suffering. I’ve developed quite the attachment to some that we’ve sent to be butchered. Often I have to keep my heart out of culling decisions and focus on what makes business and financial sense. I give them a good life while I can. They have one bad day.
-As far as killing on the farm, yes someone needs to be there. I don’t think that it should be you. Some other pieces to consider here is whether or not your husband has the ability to be present and endure the process for the amount of time that it takes. Also, even if the butcher takes any waste, there is still likely to be a bloody mess. Can you and your daughter cope with that when you return to the farm? I’m not trying to be gross, I’m trying to think of every possibility. Seeing their empty pens will be hard enough without seeing blood everywhere because it was too difficult to remove all of the evidence.
-Why does this buyer insist that your property be used? Why can’t the animals be taken to a butchering facility? If he doesn’t agree to your terms, another buyer will come along. Also, if he insists on using the farm and you are agreeable, make sure he is footing the bill for ALL costs incurred so you don’t get stuck with some crazy high charge for several animals being processed, a per mile travel charge, and a portable location fee.
-Saying goodbye isn’t easy but knowing that they won’t experience further suffering will outweigh the rest. You’ll come to focus on the good times and not the goodbye. Allow yourself to cry. It’s perfectly okay! You may even be in a funk for a day or two. That’s okay too. This is something new and you have to wrap your head around it.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m going to start with a general disclaimer: I realize that you are fairly new to Livestock and accepting that sometimes ones that start out as pets need to be culled for one reason or another. I also want to acknowledge that these are your “babies.” You’ve spoiled them and insured that they thrived.

-You are correct in that processing wethers is often much more humane than some type of pet setting. Being culled as promptly as possible upon the new owner taking possession also further insures neglect has less opportunity to occur. It is the same with steers and barrows.
-Our process is to sell animals on the hoof by the whole or half. We sell cattle, pigs, and the occasional goat. We are paid based on weight upon arrival at the butchering facility and we do the transport to the facility. Our buyers do their own cutting order and pay for the processing to the butcher. We get paid market process for weight on the hoof. The buyers are then responsible for picking up the packaged meat from the processor.
-In my experience, I couldn’t be there for any of the killing. If the animal is suffering or my family is starving, I’ll step up and I have in the case of suffering. I’ve developed quite the attachment to some that we’ve sent to be butchered. Often I have to keep my heart out of culling decisions and focus on what makes business and financial sense. I give them a good life while I can. They have one bad day.
-As far as killing on the farm, yes someone needs to be there. I don’t think that it should be you. Some other pieces to consider here is whether or not your husband has the ability to be present and endure the process for the amount of time that it takes. Also, even if the butcher takes any waste, there is still likely to be a bloody mess. Can you and your daughter cope with that when you return to the farm? I’m not trying to be gross, I’m trying to think of every possibility. Seeing their empty pens will be hard enough without seeing blood everywhere because it was too difficult to remove all of the evidence.
-Why does this buyer insist that your property be used? Why can’t the animals be taken to a butchering facility? If he doesn’t agree to your terms, another buyer will come along. Also, if he insists on using the farm and you are agreeable, make sure he is footing the bill for ALL costs incurred so you don’t get stuck with some crazy high charge for several animals being processed, a per mile travel charge, and a portable location fee.
-Saying goodbye isn’t easy but knowing that they won’t experience further suffering will outweigh the rest. You’ll come to focus on the good times and not the goodbye. Allow yourself to cry. It’s perfectly okay! You may even be in a funk for a day or two. That’s okay too. This is something new and you have to wrap your head around it.
@Wehner Homestead. I do so truly appreciate your response. You had thought about it before your reply. You do raise a few really good and thought provoking questions. It is going to be extremely difficult to explain to Abigail what happened to them and that she won’t ever see them again. I think I’ll have trouble coming to terms with that myself, much less expect my 4 year old to understand and accept it. My husband does pretty good when they/renderer comes and culls pigs. But, they clean up and take away the mess. They aren’t sitting at the farm cutting them into manageable sizes for transport either. The rendering place gets everything but the blood off the ground. But I’m sure my hubs would either rake it and scatter the blood stain or cover it with sand if a good hosing doesn’t wash it away. He’s really good about taking mine and Abigails feelings at the forefront. Being he had done time in combat he is able to “do what needs to be done and walk away emotionally”. I envy that about him.

This buyer apparently lives in the city and is used to processing his own meat. But being from the city he likely doesn’t have a place to do it. They are listed as butcher pigs and goats for sale. He might do one goat one pig or two pigs. I believe he’s either Asian or prefers to eat Asian cuisine. Our renderer can’t come out until June to cull and clean up any critters on the farm. I’m not really sure how this will play out. I think my husband is willing to work with him on it to figure out how they want to do it. All I honestly know is neither Abigail nor myself will be present when things happen if they don’t leave the farm living and breathing. I’m pretty sure I’d rather my wethers be butchered at the farm or immediately after leaving the farm. I don’t want to wonder what happened to them or about their living conditions. I don’t plan on selling many goats in the future that are over a month or two. I plan on keeping them pure but not necessarily registered in hopes that a hobby farm or small operation buys them for breeding purposes or for milking or companion animal. That might be a bit naive on my part. But, if I have to come to a different realization, I’ll just have to do that. My only reason to breed any goats is to milk the does. I’m I should have at least a year to figure that part of the plan out.

I know you aren’t the breeder I bought my babies from. I had asked if they were purebred once, but I don’t remember what he said. I know he raises a few different breeds of dairy goat, Nubian, Saanen, Toggenburg, Lamancha. He also mentioned something about if I were to crossbreed any goat with a Lamancha they would always have small ears as Lamancha ears are a dominant trait. I think that’s what he said. It doesn’t really matter if this little buck is pure Lamancha or not. But, I’m state think he must has some Toggenburg in him because of his color and markings. What do you think?
94CC4640-DE08-4805-B261-7EA386381C34.jpeg

Toggenburg/Lamancha cross or Lamancha? Can Lamancha have these markings? I know Lamanchas can be nearly any color. The markings seem too prominent and similar for me to think he doesn’t have at least a little Toggenburg in him.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will say that my children 7,5,3 have some idea of what happens. They understand that some animals go to market and some go to butcher. They also understand that we eat some of them. They have a harder time with certain animals that they get attached to also. Others that are a pain, they are glad to see them go.

I would be honest but only provide a few specifics if you share with Abigail. Something along the lines of (we believe in God and that our animals have souls and will be in heaven to so change according to your beliefs) we can’t keep every animal born here and some we are able to sell to others as pets but some will become food. (Insert name/description) is being sold. He/she can’t stay on the farm any longer and we need to say goodbye.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is a cross because he doesn't have true gopher ears, he has elf ears.
...and he is a cutie!

As far as children and farm life- it is what you make it. My children and most of my friends that have children grow up understanding where their food comes from and that is a good thing. These same children love on their animals, care for them, cry when something gets taken by a predator, is injured, or dies from an accident or illness. They have compassion and they learn that. Come slaughter day they are there and are included. They are thankful for food on the table and know they gave them a good life. With our goats we take them to the processor because it is more time efficient for us and we get the cuts we want. It is a great option for them to pay on the hoof, then you transport to processor and they pick up and pay the fee.
This is one of the boxes we got back. We had most of the meat ground.
2-27-13b 009.jpg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
As far as breeding, Lamancha ears can be dominant but only affect the length of the ear. (I think I’m explaining this correctly. @Southern by choice and @Goat Whisperer are more knowledgeable and I hope one of them can weigh in.) Most first generation crosses have a medium length ear that is partially erect. The colors do vary that much and the facial stripes are almost trademark for Lamanchas!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
ear chart

Gopher is a true tight ear with no cartilage ("no ear")
Elf extends with cartilage (like your guy)
Erect is a full ear (like Alpine/Togg)
So if you breed him to an erect eared goat- you have the probability of 50%elf 50%erect
Ear Chart Wingin' it Farms.png

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One more breed/crossbreed question. Do you think our little gal Sugar could be part Saanen? I’m sure the other six could be pure but probably not. I’m also really surprised that most of the girls have pretty prominent bags. I noticed them at about two weeks. Was I blind before? I didn’t expect to see them develop for a few months. I couldn’t find anything about udders or mammary glands in baby goats.
4DBEC5F1-19E8-4973-9B7E-A5C3CC63CCAF.jpeg
55657769-1FBD-4343-A55F-3D3F826ED388.jpeg
F7120047-2FD0-486A-9EC4-3A5EA24BD815.jpeg

He is a cross because he doesn't have true gopher ears, he has elf ears.
...and he is a cutie!

As far as children and farm life- it is what you make it. My children and most of my friends that have children grow up understanding where their food comes from and that is a good thing. These same children love on their animals, care for them, cry when something gets taken by a predator, is injured, or dies from an accident or illness. They have compassion and they learn that. Come slaughter day they are there and are included. They are thankful for food on the table and know they gave them a good life. With our goats we take them to the processor because it is more time efficient for us and we get the cuts we want. It is a great option for them to pay on the hoof, then you transport to processor and they pick up and pay the fee.
This is one of the boxes we got back. We had most of the meat ground.
View attachment 61266
That’s an impressive box of meat.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think I have any gopher ears. Candy, the lightest one has the shortest ears, but I think they are elf as well.
Candy
74C67977-53AA-48CA-AC36-67AB8507BB6D.jpeg

Gypsy
6F3F9D4A-6032-4FDE-8993-F40B015827AF.jpeg

Thor
02725F93-7CE1-4F89-950D-F1A8A7146AE3.jpeg

My Lamanchas are so sweet, mellow, and pretty quiet unless you’re late with their bottles. They melt into my chest or arms when I’m feeding them. If I ever buy more goats, they will be Lamancha.

Latest posts